The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Graham's & Fonseca

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2000 Graham's & Fonseca

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 am

Beth Sheligo hosted a "dark dessert wines" tasting last Friday, and my contribution ot the evening was a bottles each of the 2000 Graham's and 2000 Fonseca. vintage port.

The tasting began at 7:30 PM, the Ports were not served until after 9, and I had opened them at about 4:30. I thought about double decanting and should have, but ultimately the results were quite fine (on night two).

On the first night both showed quite spirity, but the Graham's more so than the Fonseca. A few minutes of swirling in the glass helped the Fonseca settle down into that lovely velvet robe of fruit (with the bed of spikes underneath) that I remembered from my last taste 3 years ago. The Graham's was quite spirity until it had 30 minutes in the glass when it took on a more forward, monolithic fruitiness and even bolder tannins. Tons of potential in both but very little pleasure. About 1/3 of each 375 ml was left, so I corked them up and we did not revisit until over 24 hours had passed.

Night two brought a difference that I could not have imagined. Both wines had shed their spiritous nature and settled in to a youthful, but extraordinarily delicious state. The Graham's was spicier, with more of a macerated blackberry fruit character, while the Fonseca had a complex array of dark red and black fruit, sweet herbs and vanilla that reminded me why I originally thought a few years ago that I could drink it with a meal rahter than as a finishing Port. There was absolutely no hint that these wines had been open for nearly 30 hours, and if I had to guess I would say that half bottles need at least 15 more years and fulls at least 30. Majestic and soul satisfying Ports.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2000 Graham's & Fonseca

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for a master-ly report, David. Two classic wines many of us can only dream about. I missed the Roy Hersch tasting last week here in town (only had time to say HI!!!) but did manage a taste of the Fladgate `94 (I think it was).
Are you a big port collector, David?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:55 am

I'm not so much a "big Port collector", but I do have a good bit of 2000 stashed away, as well as a few choice bottles of older wines.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:28 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The Graham's was spicier, with more of a macerated blackberry fruit character, while the Fonseca had a complex array of dark red and black fruit, sweet herbs and vanilla[...]

Thank you for the notes! I very much enjoyed these Ports also, but must express my surprise that they showed so well (on the second day) - my admittedly small recent experience would have suggested that 2000's are thoroughly shut down. 30h open for young Ports sounds perfectly normal for my tastes, so the surprise was that they opened up in that time.

I always find the subjectivess of the colours of fruit fascinating. I thought the Graham's was (typically for the house) very red toned, with little dark characterstics. The Fonseca I thought blue and floral. Lovely wines both of them - I wish I had had money to buy them when they were available here.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:50 pm

David
You're a braver man than I am drinking young port. One for the truly enquiring mind, as it can be pretty challenging to the palate! I've settled on 20+ years old as a preference from my experiences to date.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

It was an instructive experience, and because of the massive fruit in both wines the tannins while substantial were not painful enough to teach me a lesson (even Laura had a few sips).