The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella

by James Dietz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:17 am

• 2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills (11/12/2007)

These wines get a lot of hype, but sometimes the hype is true...Hadn't tried one of these in some time. And only one bottle left. The price tag is still on the bottle...I bought it retail somewhere for $25.99! Where have those days gone??!!! Served with homemade chicken and rice soup and a chicken and rice dish, Costa Rican style.

Nose has some dust on it and red cherry. Color is beautiful. Red cherry on the entry gliding over the tongue to dark bing cherries on the finish. This is flawless on the palate. Light to medium weight, with good acidity. Refreshing to drink, no palate fatigue at all. Just a lovely wine, in a group with the Williams-Selyem or Littorai for elegance and grace. I wish I was still buying these, and don't remember why I stopped (price maybe??). (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 am

James,
You're making my decision more difficult. I was on the Sea Smoke mailing list for one year and didn't order last year. (Combination of reasons--moving to a new home, was insulted that I was only able to order about one bottle the first year and that their lower end wine, prices sky high for top end wine) This year they have sent an e-mail asking if I wish to remain on the active list. I was going to say no but...you make the wine sound attractive. I have until 30 Nov to respond and will probably go ahead and open the one bottle I have before deciding.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella

by James Dietz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Open a bottle and see, as you suggest...but I think I have decided to get back into buying these....
Cheers, Jim