The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Salon, St Innocent, Soter, Bonneau, Donjon & Janasse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Salon, St Innocent, Soter, Bonneau, Donjon & Janasse

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:12 pm

One of my regular groups got together on Sunday ... and we ended up with a very nice line up. Not much for notes but I thought I would give my brief thoughts.

1996 Salon Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (11/13/2007)
Not much to say here. Just a great wine. Very young but already showing complexity as well as just being plain tasty.

1999 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Seven Springs - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/13/2007)
I waffled back and forth on whether or not to decant this. I did do a brief decant in the morning and then poured back into the bottle. I think this wine showed well but it is a bit austere. Grippy tannins stick with you. On the second night the wine seemed cleaner ... more pure. Still not going into a secondary phase but the stuffing seems just fine. (90 pts.)

2004 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Seven Springs
- USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/13/2007)
This showed very well. More approachable than the '99. Toasty aromatics mix with classic brambly fruit. At first there was some of the St Innocent dill that I don't like but it seemed to subside when I re-visited the wine later. A very nice wine but I am sure if I should wait or go ahead and pop another bottle. (91 pts.)

2003 Soter Pinot Noir Beacon Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (11/13/2007)
Although there are some 03s I really like ... there are not many. I think this wine is a victim of the vintage. Not a bad thing for everyone. But for me, especially next to the St Innocents, this was too candied. Bubble gum nose. I find that rare in Oregon. Also texturally it seemed to just slip by. A big contrast from the other 2 pinots. But not flawed and think many would enjoy this wine.

1989 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)
What can be said about this wine. Tremendous. Starting to show small signs of age but still very youthful. Still needs lots of time.

1998 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)Not sure what to make of this one. It smelled like a bowl of ultra ripe prunes ... with vodka. The palate was okay but it showed more like a Zin. Maybe flawed?

2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)
The Donjon was showing very young but totally approachable. A great rustic wine ... with pepper on top.

2000 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)
Slightly heavier than the Donjon. Drinking really well. I really liked this one. Smooth and rich.

2001 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin
- France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)
This wine was much bigger. I would have guessed it as California. Very tasty and mouth coating. A massive change after tasting the 2000. A super wine leaning more towards hedonism.

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Salon, St Innocent, Soter, Bonneau, Donjon & Janasse

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Jason wrote:"1998 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/13/2007)Not sure what to make of this one. It smelled like a bowl of ultra ripe prunes ... with vodka. The palate was okay but it showed more like a Zin. Maybe flawed?"

Jason, I have not had the wine in question, but I will say that I think that many 98 CndP's are reaching their apex, and heading over the hill. They are not sliding fast down hill, down hill never the less. I have several different 98's and I will likely drink them all ( except the Pegau) this winter.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: Salon, St Innocent, Soter, Bonneau, Donjon & Janasse

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Jason, I have not had the wine in question, but I will say that I think that many 98 CndP's are reaching their apex, and heading over the hill. They are not sliding fast down hill, down hill never the less. I have several different 98's and I will likely drink them all ( except the Pegau) this winter.

I agree. Not my favorite vintage ... and don't plan an aging many ... but I really expected more out of the Celestines. I do wonder if there was a problem with this bottle.

J