The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2003 SLWC cabernet sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

2003 SLWC cabernet sauvignon

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:28 pm

I just saw several bottles of the 2003 SLWC Fay Vineyard Cabernet at $41 per bottle. I picked on up, but hat to open it anytime soon, and they won't last at this price. If you have had it, or if you even have an opinion on the wine at this price I would love to hear it. This same store has the 2000 Beringer Bancroft Ranch Howell Mountain Merlot for $30 per bottle. Would appreciate any and all opinions on this wine too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 2003 SLWC cabernet sauvignon

by Jenise » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Bob, dunno about the SL, but I had the Beringer and I agree with the three reviews on Cellar Tracker that rate it 93, 94 and 95 points:

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&szSearch=2000+Beringer+Bancroft+Merlot

Drop what you're doing and go load up the truck.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Bob,

I've unfortunately been underwhelmed by Fay bottlings in the past and this one was no different. At $80 on release, it is disappointing but at $41, I would still have to think.... There are better bottles are this level, like Lewelling and Spring Mountain. It is not a bad bottle, perhaps it jsut me and my expectations based on their reputation. It is definitely better than Artemis for around the same price.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 pm

I may not have your experience, Michael, but I did enjoy the 2004 Fay. It's definitely a lighter style of wine, with more raspberry, and definitely some high acids. Is it worth $80? Probably not, but the market is what it is. :?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm

I suppose Michael, that the final answer will be to try the wine and decide for myself. But the $41 price was so inviting. I picked up one and am going to get one or two of the Beringer merlot as well. IIRC the Beringer sells for around $65 usually and for $30 is irresistible as well.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Bob and Brian

I hope I did not come across as been stuffy, and if I did, I really do apologize.

The prices are great and you are right, I would be very tempted too. I don't have a ton of experience with the wines either but I am on their wine club which means that I get only one of each bottle each year (thus the limited experience) and I've not even drank them all yet, but I do drink the Fay's (and their various iterations like Golden Triangle, etc).

It is decent bottle and at $41 it is a much better buy than at $80, but in an attempt to get value, end up always comparing. A bottle of 2004 Ponet Canet is $40 too and it is a very nice bottle.

Sorry if the message was a bit incomplete.