The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '06 Quartzit, very good Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '06 Quartzit, very good Riesling

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:34 am

Monday Betsy made a "Morrocan Chicken Pot Pie" (from I think latest Bon Appetit). Kind of a cross between a CPP and a b'stilla. Cumin, cinnamon, plus spice from the green olives she used. Really a lovely dish. I was thinking crisp white, maybe Fiano or something, but came up from cellar with the 2006 Hexamer "Quartzit" Meddersheimer Rheingrafenberg Riesling QbA (Nahe). A hint of spritz. Lime blossoms and crushed rocks on the nose. Citrus and stone fruit on the palate, plenty of sugar but well balanced by the high acidity. Most acidic 2006 I've tasted, and it handles it well. Very good. The sweetness balances the spices, the acidity livens ip everything, good match. Didn't have wine with dinner tonight. but just got back from taking a college group to city, discovered Quartzit is even better on day 2 (well, technically day 3) with Sun Chips™. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: '06 Quartzit, very good Riesling

by Bill Hooper » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm

You must have really liked it Dale, to post twice! It really is a shining star in an altogether strange and highly variable vintage. Hexamer is making a strong case for Nahe value whilst the "D's" hold up the high end.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com