The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Northern Italians...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Northern Italians...

by Bill Hooper » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:38 pm

I just picked up a few bottles from the Italian North today. I think because I usually go for Germany, Austria, and Northern France, these wines are under-appreciated at my house. I do like the producers, and generally love Alto Adige and Collio, but haven't had these particular wines. Any insight before I go a-poppin? Anyone?

Gravner Bianco Breg 1997 -Collio $100
J. Hofstaetter Barthenau Vigna a.Urbano Pinot Nero 2000 -Alto Adige $72
Abbazia di Novacella Veltliner -Alto Adige 2006 $30

Danke,
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

My Thoughts...

by TomHill » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:15 am

All of the wines I've had from Abbazia have been terrific. Very good/reliable producer.
I've also liked all the Hofstaetters I've had as well. Seems a bit pricey for AA Pinot.
Gravner.....that's another matter. Always expensive. Very idiosyncratic wines. Not to everyone's taste. If you bite, try it w/ an open mind.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: My Thoughts...

by Bill Hooper » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 am

Tom,

I've tasted Hofstaetter's 'cheaper' Pinot Nero and liked it a lot. I guess the Barthenau is 'Italys finest Pinot Noir', hence the price. I'll open it this weekend and post. It'll (the Novacella) be my first Italian Veltliner -I had to buy it. The Gravner came with the caveat that they are indeed bizarre wines. This one is barrel fermented (a practice not employed so much at the Estate anylonger?). It should be fun.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Northern Italians...

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32 pm

That's a lot of money for those wines, but you should not be disappointed. Lot of interesting wines in the North/Northeast of Italy. I look forward to your notes.