The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Muga, Monticello, Fonseca, Crasto, Krone, Smith Woodhouse, Niepoort

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Muga, Monticello, Fonseca, Crasto, Krone, Smith Woodhouse, Niepoort

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Blind tasting dinner notes – Iberian theme:

2005 Estecello Blanco (Catalyud) – this Maccabeo was somewhat darker than expected in colour, had quite a sweet nose, some sweetness in the mouth, and was an unpretentious little wine.

2004 Sogrape Reserva Bianco (Douro) – a Portuguese reserve white made from the equivalent of Albarino in Spain, this wine showed some class along with some oak. Smooth, soft and tasty.

1991 Montecillo Gran Reserva Rioja – nice pure oak and fruit nose, with some black olive, medium bodied with high terminal acidity that worked with food but was bit too much on it’s own. Good.

1998 Fonseca Garraferia ‘FSF’ – this one was a blend of Trincadeira, Syrah and Tannat(!). It showed a very attractive dark fruit and licorice nose, soft entry, good balance, lush and long. Good now and for some years. A winner.

2000 Quinta do Crasto Riserva – perhaps the best vintage made of this wine to that date. 70 year old vines from a single estate, mixed French and American oak, bottled without filtration. Sweet dark nose, vanilla and plum, and smooth on palate with good length. Hitting prime time now.

1996 Muga Prado Enea Rioja Gran Riserva – again, lots of sweet oak in the nose, but it turned to a powdered sugar sort of nose, and would not have been identifiable as Rioja had it been served in another setting. Very un-Rioja-like, I thought.

2003 Niepoort Redoma – Dirk Niepoort has been championing dry reds made in a Port region from Port varietals and it certainly seems to work. Dark wine with an intense sweet nose (all this ‘sweet’, it should be understood, comes from oak, not sugars). Also sweet and hefty on palate with yes, yet more oak presence. Excellent length. This one is just starting to drink well. Nice wine.

1978 Muga Prado Enea Gran Riserva Rioja – a delight to share a well aged bottle of old style Rioja. The nose had white pepper and black olive (the wood was FINALLY integrated) and it was elegant and smooth with great length. The only really traditional Rioja of the night.

1983 Smith Woodhouse Port – warm and oddly minty nose, not quite melded together, seeming young and very tasty. I’d leave this awhile yet. Makes me wonder why I bought the 2000 and when I’ll be able to drink it.

1968 Krone Colheita – this one was a lot of fun. Hot nose, pale colour, and a Sherry like nose made us wonder exactly what we were drinking. Nose of a fino, colour of a tawny Port, an interesting old wine holding up brilliantly.

A night without one dud wine – in fact they were all very interesting.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Muga, Monticello, Fonseca, Crasto, Krone, Smith Woodhouse, Niepoort

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Very nice notes Bill. What is the prospect of the Redonna down the road? How long can/should one keep?

Another champion of the `00 Crasto I see!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm

The 2000 Crasto Reserve is excellent as is the 97 and 99.

The Redoma was a pleasant surprise as in the past I have wondered if the price matched the quality, but I have to say this one has hit it's stride.

I have some 1999 I must get around to trying. Dirk hasn't been making this long enough to have established an expectation about ageability.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:18 am

Glad to hear the 2000 Reserva is still drinking well, your notes make me want to order more.

Have you tried the 2003 and 2004 Reserva V.V.? I tried a bottle of each and liked them less than the 2000. I wonder if they vintages are less appealing, or the wines are just simply younger (or maybe Quinta do Crasto has redirected some of the best vines to the higher end bottlings).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 am

What is the prospect of the Redonna down the road? How long can/should one keep?

I have not tried the 2003 but the 2001 is just hitting its stride now. Wonderful wine and showing no signs of age. A half left overnight tastes almost like it did the night before. I have three cases of the 2001 that I hope I can make last for another decade but the way we are going through it, I doubt it makes it.

The Redoma was a pleasant surprise as in the past I have wondered if the price matched the quality, but I have to say this one has hit it's stride.

Bill, you may want to look for the 2001. I got mine from MacArthur Beverage for a crazy price of $17/bt- bought out their remaining stock. They got more 2001 in and it is still a bargain at a substantially higher $22/bottle. Not sure how much of it they have but I turned my brother on at that price and he picked up 2 more cases at that price but it still shows in stock. I even asked about the price and the buyer just told me he got a great price so was passing it on to the customers. I assume that the wholesaler is blowing out stock to make room for the 2005.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:36 am

Brian,looks like you have a great deal there with the Redonna. Not much of a chance of finding any up here!! But one can hope.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:43 am

Bob, I have no idea about shipping to Canada but MacArthur will ship as allowed. If you want to pursue you can find all info on contact, etc. from their website http://www.bassins.com/
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 am

Brian, thanks for the link. Lovely selection of wines there. Have to run but noticed the `03 Esporao from Portugal. Buy that one!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:29 am

Brian Gilp wrote:Bill, you may want to look for the 2001. I got mine from MacArthur Beverage for a crazy price of $17/bt- bought out their remaining stock. They got more 2001 in and it is still a bargain at a substantially higher $22/bottle.

Unfortunately the agent has gone nuts and the price is $36 for the 2003/04, so I shall leave it unless they reduce it later.

Still arguably worth it, but not when you alredy have a cellar of wine ready to drink.