The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Wither Hills 2005 Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Wither Hills 2005 Pinot Noir

by MattThr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 pm

I bought this because my partner prefers fruity wines and she'd been putting up with lots of tough old French reds recently. It was an impulse buy - not something I'd asked about or researched at all.

======

Wine has that distinctively twig-and-cherry Pinot Noir scent, bolstered by a rich, almost chocolatey smoke aroma.

The palate is bursting with rich, juicy cherry and black fruit flavours running from the sweet all the way through to the slightly medicinal. Smoke also remains an important ingredient in the mix. Acid is slightly out of whack, but to some extent this aids the juicy quality of the wine by making the mouth water, and the mouthfeel is otherwise silky smooth.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: [WTN] Wither Hills 2005 Pinot Noir

by Sue Courtney » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Put almost any NZPPN against a "tough old French red" and the fruit will sing.
Chocolate and cherries used to be a key pointer for Marlborough PN for me in blind tastings, though I now pick up those indicators in Central Otago PN quite often too.
What was the price?
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

Re: [WTN] Wither Hills 2005 Pinot Noir

by MattThr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:10 am

Sue Courtney wrote:Put almost any NZPPN against a "tough old French red" and the fruit will sing.

I rather like the tough old French reds. It's been quite a delightful revelation discovering the range of non-fruit flavours that can turn up in wine. However, this made a nice change and my partner enjoyed it.

What was the price?

I paid £15 for it, but I think it can be had from around £12 at some outlets.