The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Bodegas Olivares Jumilla Dulce Monastrell

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2003 Bodegas Olivares Jumilla Dulce Monastrell

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:25 pm

2003 Bodegas Olivares Jumilla Dulce Monastrell - Spain, Murcia, Jumilla (11/18/2007)
Deep purple to black color. Intense aromatics of macerated berries, raisins, menthol and black tea leaves with a dash of vanilla. Very sweet and just as intensely flavors with the tea and berry flavors dominating. There's the barest hint of heat on the finish, but it fades quickly leaving smooth berry flavors. This reminds me very much of a Ridge Petite Sirah Essence, which pretty much explains why I like it so much.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Bodegas Olivares Jumilla Dulce Monastrell

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Interesting note, thanks. David, its yum time here at Doris Ranch, have pulled out a `01 Castano Dulce Monastrell ( a split) which will go great at Xmas eh. Next time up here, might be in Banff?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:08 am

I tried several bottles of the 2001 and loved it. Great wine, tremendous finesse, texture and character, at an absurdly low price. So I got half a dozen of the 2003s, but the only one I've had so far (about six months ago) wasn't as pleasurable. I didn't write notes, but remember an excessive note of either tar or camphor (don't remember exactly which) compromising the balance. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that time will resolve that.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:54 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I tried several bottles of the 2001 and loved it. Great wine, tremendous finesse, texture and character, at an absurdly low price. So I got half a dozen of the 2003s, but the only one I've had so far (about six months ago) wasn't as pleasurable. I didn't write notes, but remember an excessive note of either tar or camphor (don't remember exactly which) compromising the balance. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that time will resolve that.

I noted a distinct menthol element in the wine, but it wasn't distracting.
Decisions are made by those who show up