The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 8 vintages of Pegau Cuvée Réservée

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 8 vintages of Pegau Cuvée Réservée

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:55 am

Last night one of my tasting groups was treated to a fantastic line-up of 8 vintages of Pegau's Cuvée Réservée. I did not take detailed notes, but the wines were quite striking, and it's not hard to keep track of what was what. All the wines were served blind with rather jumbled decanting times, so please don't ask about that. Apparently Laurence Ferraud was consulted by e-mail for appropriate decanting times.

We started with a 2001 Keller Dalsheimer Hubacker Riesling Spatlese that was rather unbalanced to the sweet side. It was definitely cloying even when it was quite cold.

For the Pegau, in the order of service, the first four wines were served with Osso Bucco:

The 1995 was actually quite nice on its own, but got trounced by the rest of the competition. It was much more of a finesse wine while also being rather rustic which made for an odd combination. The fruit seemed to be drying out a bit here. Check in on this if you have it.

The 1999 Second Release was the most forward of the first four wines, and the only one of the first four that could compete with the second batch of four. Lots of kirsch here with plenty of leather and earth as well, but really the dominant note is fruit. This can be drunk now for easy pleasure or held.

The 1999 First Release also showed well, but it had more of a dusty character, with more earthy notes that its second release brother. This is a wine that I would drink now while I waited for some of the later wines to reach their prime.

The 1994 was the most mature in a good way (the 1995 seemed prematurely mature) with a fully integrated and mellowing character. Lots of saddle leather and herbs here. Still some good fruit, but this is becoming more of a joy to just smell. Drink 'em if you've got 'em - you won't regret it.

The second four wines were served with a Moroccan Lamb Stew and Hubbard Squash:

The 1998 started me thinking that we had moved from regular CNdP cuvees to top of the line super-cuvees (but of course we had not). THis had about double the concentration of most of the first flight (the exception being the '99 Second release) while also being impeccably balanced. My wine of the night; it has tons of fruit and all the balancing structure to age for a long time yet. This is anotehr '98 that is nowhere near mature much less going downhill.

The 2003 is one of those rare exceptions to the 2003 gnarlies. Yes it's a big wine, but it's not hot, no more roasted than any other ripe vintages of CNdP and it's not 'porty.' It's rich, fruity and balanced, but I still prefer the '98. The one odd thing was that this wine started with a butterscotch note. It did disappate though, leaving pure CNdP. This should evolve wonderfully.

The 2000 had a puzzling showing, being either slightly closed, or potentially with some bottle flaw (minor cork?). It didn't have the harmony of the other vintages, and since I had it only a few weeks ago and it was spectacular (and very young) I'll reserve judgement on this bottle.

The 2004 finished things off with a flourish, with tons of ripe fruit and baby fat. Somewhere under all that fruit it was recognizable as CNdP, but wow it's just so rich (and balanced!) right now. Looks like another candidate for either guilty pleasure drinking now or cellaring for a long, long time.

There was a lot to like in this tasting. Thanks Doug for the wines and the food. After doing Beaucastel 10 days ago and Pegau last night I am fully into a Chateauneuf phase for winter.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: 8 vintages of Pegau Cuvée Réservée

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:08 pm

David,
Thanks greatly for those notes. I have all of those wines except the '03, which I passed on. I'm not surprised by the showing of the '98. When I tasted it on release, it had the mouthfeel of coffee, with incredibly thick (but not harsh) tannins. One question: how does one distinguish the "first release" from the "second release" bottling?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:David,
Thanks greatly for those notes. I have all of those wines except the '03, which I passed on. I'm not surprised by the showing of the '98. When I tasted it on release, it had the mouthfeel of coffee, with incredibly thick (but not harsh) tannins. One question: how does one distinguish the "first release" from the "second release" bottling?

Mark Lipton

Mark,

If you have bottles that were imported by Hand-Picked Selections it's easy. Take a '98 and a '00. If the label on your '99 looks exactly like a '98 label (all the wording and fonts the same) it's the 1st release. If it looks like a '00 label it's the second release.

The details of the differences are as follow:

Old release:
Top of label says: "An estate bottled Cotes du Rhone Wine"
Left side of label says: "Selected and Imported By" and then under that it says "Alcohol 13.5% by volume"
Right side of label says: "Hand Picked Selections Warrenton, VA" and then under that "Contains Sulfites"

New release:
Top of label says: "Red Rhone Wine"
Left side of label says: "Imported By Hand Picked Selections Warrenton, VA"
Right side of label says: "Alcohol 13.5% by volume" and under that "Contains Sulfites"
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:04 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:We started with a 2001 Keller Dalsheimer Hubacker Riesling Spatlese that was rather unbalanced to the sweet side. It was definitely cloying even when it was quite cold..

Do you know if it has always been that way?

The Keller wines are not shy are they. But they have their fans.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:We started with a 2001 Keller Dalsheimer Hubacker Riesling Spatlese that was rather unbalanced to the sweet side. It was definitely cloying even when it was quite cold..

Do you know if it has always been that way?

The Keller wines are not shy are they. But they have their fans.

I last had one 2 years ago - didn't like it then either.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Wow, "treated" is right.

But--first release, second release? Is that shown on the label? I don't remember seeing a designation like that on the 99 we had a few weeks ago.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, "treated" is right.

But--first release, second release? Is that shown on the label? I don't remember seeing a designation like that on the 99 we had a few weeks ago.

See my post a few above here. The labels look slightly different. There is a code number but it's hard to find. There is no "second release" or other obvious designation.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:32 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
If you have bottles that were imported by Hand-Picked Selections it's easy. Take a '98 and a '00. If the label on your '99 looks exactly like a '98 label (all the wording and fonts the same) it's the 1st release. If it looks like a '00 label it's the second release.

Aha. Alas, that won't help in my case, as (almost) all of mine were imported by J et R and the labels through 2004 have remained unchanged and resemble the '98 that you described.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:

Aha. Alas, that won't help in my case, as (almost) all of mine were imported by J et R and the labels through 2004 have remained unchanged and resemble the '98 that you described.

Mark Lipton

Then you very likely only have 1st release. I thought HPS got all the 2nd batch. But the way to know for sure is by finding a code on the neck of the bottle...Eric Levine said how to do it on eBob...here it is:

The lot # of the late-bottled '99 Pegau is: L: 03-06-24
And where to find it is: Printed on the bottle in purple ink, just under the capsule. Hold the bottle up to a reasonably strong light, rotate it slowly and look, and LO! and BEHOLD!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:31 am

David M. Bueker wrote: I thought HPS got all the 2nd batch.

That is my understanding as well based upon a brief chat with the J et R rep. a few years ago.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
The 1995 was actually quite nice on its own, but got trounced by the rest of the competition. It was much more of a finesse wine while also being rather rustic which made for an odd combination. The fruit seemed to be drying out a bit here. Check in on this if you have it.

Happy Thanksgiving David. After reading the above I decided to make this my red wine for Thanksgiving dinner. I am also decanting a 2002 Ch. Tahbilk marsanne for about 3 hours. I usually do not decant the marsanne since I usually drink older vintages, but I have just over two cases of the 02, and much fewer of the older ones now. I will open but not decant the Pegau, and for only about 1.5 hours. I will report impressions later today or take notes and post later in the week.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Looking forward to your notes Bob.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:56 pm

David, I found the 95 Pegau to be a rather nice if not profound wine. The garnet red was showing serious bricking at the rim, attesting to it's 12 years age. I found dark red fruit on the nose trending to cherries and plums, with a bit of earthy funk but then I like that. On the palate the wine was almost sweet with dried red cherry flavor, a cinnamon spice, along with raw meat. Still a sufficient amount of tannin however the tannins are soft and unobtrusive. I liked the wine and only have one bottle, wish it were six.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Looking forward to your notes Bob.

Happy Thanksgiving David. Look forward to your notes too!
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:03 pm

David, thanks for the excellent notes on Pegau Reservee. I had that '99 2nd release about 2 years ago, and it was drinking great then. Only others I've had are the 1990 and 2001 Pegau from earlier this year. I don't think I ever posted notes, so here goes:

1999 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee 2nd Release. Tasted 6/05. This wine has an intriguing nose of blackberry, pepper, leather, meat, and freshly turned wet earth. Interestingly, that barnyard element faded in and out over the course of the evening. On the palate, there is warm black cherry, plum and blueberry fruit. Alcohol is there, but it is well integrated. There is good grip, but the wine is surprisingly open. The finish is peppery and lasting.

1990 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee. Tasted 1/07. Here we have a nose of saffron, dried orange peel, dark cherries and dark berries. In the mouth, it shows good density, intensity and drive, and quite good length. It is spicy and chocolatey, with a fair amount of teeth-staining tannins hanging around. Probably better in a few years, though.

2001 Domaine du Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Reservee. Tasted 1/07. There is a simply beautiful bouquet to this wine, featuring complex aromatics of leather, horse, strong red currant and dark cherry. In the mouth, it has a lovely creamy layered texture, with lots of minerality and dark raspberry fruit. It displays fine juiciness and superb balance. This should just get better and better with age.

I hope to be able to catch up someday and try more of the vintages you describe above!

Michael