The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two Buck Chuck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

Two Buck Chuck

by Dave C » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:16 am

On the WineLoversPage ning Network I've put up a short video clip of Oz and James visiting The Bronco Wine Vineyard made famous for the low price brand that earned the nickname Two Buck Chuck

I'm hoping that Forum members can now see the ning site content:-

http://wineloverspage.ning.com/video

What do American 'Wine Lovers' think of such mass produced stuff?

There's a clip of T J Rogers at the opposite end of the market as well.

I found this old news link from CBS from 2003:-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/02/eveningnews/main556620.shtml

Cheers, Dave C.
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Two Buck Chuck

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Dave -

I've had Charles Shaw wines on a number of occasions and my impression of them is that they can vary quite a bit. The first chardonnay of theirs that I tasted was very nice - crisp, flavorful, not overripe or overoaked. I thought they might really be on to something. A year or so later, I had another bottle. It was flabby, overripe, and not something I was willing to put in my mouth after the first sip. The reds have been a bit more consistent. They're clean and technically fine but simple and overly fruit-driven for me. IMO, there's nothing really terrible about them and it's obvious that a lot of people enjoy drinking them. But I'd personally rather pay $15 for wine that I find interesting than $2 for one that I don't.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:19 pm

If one drinks 2BC for the same reason one might have iced tea, or soda or some other beverage with food, they can be perfectly fine, and if that is why you drink wine, then something like 2BC makes sense.

But most of us drink wine not just to have a beverage with food... there is something deeper, more ethereal, about the experience....it is the same as the obsession some of us also have with food....it's not necessary to find the best ingredients, to spend more for Kobe beef, or to insist on organic products to make a meal that is relatively healthy and fills one's gullet. However, that is not the purpose if one is `into' food...it's waaay more....

Same with wine.. if someone is happy with a glass or two of white zin or 2 Buck Chuck, I'm fine with it.. and they shoudn't think of us as idgits for be willing to spend X times for a bottle of wine if THAT gives us pleasure.

Happy Thanksgiving to all...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:24 pm

They came out with a "Nouveau Valdiguie" this year (not sure if they have done it in previous years) as I found out when my housemate brought home a bottle.

Looked pretty frightening, although to be honest I never tasted it.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Rahsaan wrote:They came out with a "Nouveau Valdiguie" this year (not sure if they have done it in previous years) as I found out when my housemate brought home a bottle.

I had the 2005 Nouveau Valdiguié back in the day, and, to tell you the truth, I kind of liked it. Nothing I would seek out, but nothing I would object to having a glass of either. And, at $4, I found the price-quality ratio far better than my scattered experiences with Duboeuf's Nouveau. Of course, it all might depend which million-gallon tank your bottle comes from . . .
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:21 pm

Rahsaan wrote:They came out with a "Nouveau Valdiguie" this year (not sure if they have done it in previous years) as I found out when my housemate brought home a bottle.

Speaking of frightening, remember that 2BC Syrah that Ernie brought to our minijeeb at Cesar?

Mark Lipton