The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BR: New Classic Winemakers of Calif/SteveHeimhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

BR: New Classic Winemakers of Calif/SteveHeimhoff

by TomHill » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Another terrific book by this writer (A Wine Journey Along The Russian River the other). It is inspired by the 1977 book: Great WineMakers of Calif: Conversations With Robert Benson. I found that book a bit on the trite side and the questions a bit repetitive and scripted ("Do you do a ML fermentation", "What oak do you use", etc). Steve does a far/far better job than Benson did. Each "conversation" reflects a deep & thorough knowledge of each winemaker and his wines. He sits down w/ each winemaker and simply has a "conversation" with them and writes down their responses. But each "conversation" is different. He does an excellent job of ferreting out their uniqueness. His interview w/ Tony Soter is particularly good in which Soter discusses high alcohol levels in wine (I know...subject's been beaten to death) and makes some unflattering comments on serveral (unnamed) wine critics.
It's broken down into winemakers who rose to prominance in the '70's, the '80's, and the '90's. It's a bit of an personal and idiosyncratic selection of winemakers, but..hey..he didn't ask me for my choices.
Anyway.... well-written (for a Q&A format) and interesting read. Highly recommended. I look forward to Steve's next book.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Karen Troisi

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:04 pm

NJ and CA

Re: BR: New Classic Winemakers of Calif/SteveHeimhoff

by Karen Troisi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Tom - sounds like an interesting read during the holidays. Thanks for the recommendation.

Karen

"You should only make wines you love to drink."