The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 x '05: F. Haag and A. Graillot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2 x '05: F. Haag and A. Graillot

by Saina » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Brief sips at a tasting on two interesting wines. I thought both showed more hot-year characteristics than perhaps ideal, but I am still happy to own a bottle or two of them.

• 2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/26/2007)
    Light gold. A restrained nose - a bit closed or not open long enough - but a charming wine with true Riesling aromatics of a very ripe (but gladly not over-ripe) nature. It is very fruit forward with the minerality on the background. It has a very lovable hint of grass. Plump, but still retains some of Haag's usual raciness. Long. Nice, but should go on a brief diet.
  • 2005 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (11/25/2007)
    Very dark. It seems very reductive from the bottle, but also has classic N. Rhône aromatics of black olive and pepper. It does have a slight candied edge to the nose, but not so much that I would find it disturbing. Big, sweet fruit; ripe, plentiful but soft tannins; surprisingly refreshing acidity for the year. On the whole I really enjoyed it, though I am slightly worried about the slight sugary note.

Posted from CellarTracker