The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thoughts on a Monte Bello Vertical (12 vintages)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Thoughts on a Monte Bello Vertical (12 vintages)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 am

While I did not take any notes I have some rough thoughts regarding a Monte Bello vertical that we had in Waltham last night.

There were 12 vintages of Monte Bello poured: '75, '76, '78, '80, '85, '88, '94 (sadly corked), '96, '97, '99, '00 & '01. There was also a '96 Pontet Canet ringer (blind) that stood out like a sore thumb (as was my intent).

The oldest vintages, the '75, '76, '78 & '80 were fascinating examples of older (I won't say just "old") wines that cause some polarization in the group. While there was general enjoyment, some though one bottle was past it, while others thought another bottle was the most advanced. I'm not surprised by this at all. Each wine had some cedar and green peppercorn qualities (though nobody complained about greenness), and most still had significant structure (the '76 was pretty resolved to me). They were delicious with the food, but three of the four (the '80 was slow to open and held on longer - it wasn't decanted off its sediment) dropped off after 30 minutes or so in the glass. The '78 was the flight favorite with some votes for the '75 as well. I liked these wines a lot, but they had slipped into a sort of older sameness for me.

The next flight of the '85, '88, '94 and rigner '96 Pontet Canet contained my wine of the night. The '85 was in the exact perfect spot. Still with some subtle fruit, it also had fully developed secondaries like the older flight, yet retained freshness and was a glorious (top 5 in my life) match with the short ribs. The '88 while ok had no chance against the stunning '85. The '94 certainly has power, but it was corked and heavily veiled. The '96 Pontet Canet (brought to counter the Monte Bello being Bordeaux-esque theory) started with an odd, muddled, tomato nose, but eventually cleared up & really showed well (if terribly young) after 40 minutes or so in the glass. The '85 was the clear winner in this flight, and my WOTN.

The last full flight was the '96, '97, '99 and '00. All of these were painfully young, especially after the sublime '85. The '99 had a distinct butterscotch note on the nose that I found out of place, but it faded after a while. All of these showed lots of power, but the need for lots of time as they seemed all knees and elbows. I have consistently enjoyed 20 year old Monte Bello, and the '85 re-proved that preference. I'll be leaving my younger Monte Bello in the cellar for at least another decade. I think all 4 wines will be fantastic with time, but they NEED time.

The last vintage of Monte Bello, the 2001, was served with the cheese, and it displayed the most overt power of all the bottles last night. All I can say about this wine is wait for it. I think it will be great, but not for another 15 years or so.

There were some other wines as well (a magical '89 Deiss Gewurz SGN (thanks Greg) and a stunning '99 Hirtberger Gruner Veltliner Honivogl Smaragd (thanks Ken) come to mind right now), the food was great and the company was also fantastic.

Thanks to Peter Michael (no, not that Peter Michael) for organizing the event, Ron Kramer for securing the restaurant's private room & Richard Gold for bringing along lots of amazing older vintages of MB.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

Re: WTN: Thoughts on a Monte Bello Vertical (12 vintages)

by Max Hauser » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks for the note on this, it's an unusually long group of them, David. (I just mentioned Cab. Franc in connection with Monte Bello in the current Cab. Franc thread.)

FYI the early 1990s made some strong MBs that are relatively accessible now. Some people speak especially well of the '91 though it's still young. One of the others ('92?) has matured faster.

Discussion and speculation followed a recent posting on the Squires site by an owner of some 2003 MB asking into possibility of drinking some now, after Gaiter and Brecher (respected wine writers in the Friday Wall Street Journal "Weekend" section) proposed that wine as a current holiday-feast choice. Many people who know MB view it as a long ager, per your note (including, I believe, the winemaker). I queried Gaiter and Brecher about this, and learned they'd mentioned it because it was currently available. No comment (maybe I didn't get this question across) on why not add the possibly helpful, context-setting information that it's normally seen as a wine needing around 20 years (just as, for instance, Clos de Tart is normally seen as a 10-15 year ager). People open such wines young and find interest and charm (especially if opened very young*) but it might be more wine-instructive also to know they're tasting, early, a wine made to age.

Squires thread

* "Almost every [traditionally made] Cabernet between the ages of four and five is dull." -- Thompson and Johnson in their 1976 California wine book, describing a typical closed phase. (Approx. quote, from mem.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:13 pm

It's interesting that in my notes on this tasting over on eBob someone is trying to remind me that the 2001 is good to drink now. I don't think so.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:27 pm

I've a recent California wine book from a popular writer, presumably with a following, and people learning about California wines from him, who claims "virtually all California wines, regardless of their color, varietal character or history, are best consumed in their youth."

It would make sense to me if he had added something like "... as long as the wines were made to be drunk then. This has become more common, because the market wants ready-to-drink wines, but some wines in California, as elsewhere, are made in the ancient tradition requiring bottle age to develop their characteristic flavors."

As it stands, the statement seems like one that would have been laughed out of the state at the time of (say) the 1976 Paris tasting. I seriously wonder when he started tasting wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Apparently Draper himself thinks the 2001 is not a long ager, but the older vintages (even some with label notes suggesting early consumption) were so good that I just can't drink the stuff now. The '96 and '97 were also pretty darned unapproachable.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:44 pm

David, it was a great tasting--thanks for getting your thoughts typed up so quickly.

I agree with your assessment on 2001 in terms of it clearly being built to age. But, to be honest, I did not find any of the MB's to be "painfully" young or even especially tannic. Now, the '96 Pontet Canet--that was painfully young! I guess my true point of comparison is the recent vertical a lot of the same folks participated in of Chateau Montelena--a number of those from the '90's and later were painfully tight and tannic. By comparison, I felt that all of the MB's had rounded, elegant tannins (well, the '99 was a tad rough) and I actually found the '96/'97 pretty enjoyable for current consumption.

My rank order preference was:
1994 (Corked)

Pretty much every wine had positive attributes and I'd be happy to drink them again, without question!

I'll get some tasting notes written up this weekend and try to post them here ASAP.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote: I guess my true point of comparison is the recent vertical a lot of the same folks participated in of Chateau Montelena--a number of those from the '90's and later were painfully tight and tannic. By comparison, I felt that all of the MB's had rounded, elegant tannins (well, the '99 was a tad rough) and I actually found the '96/'97 pretty enjoyable for current consumption.

I certainly could see that point of view. I just prefer my wines with a more "evolved" character. It's funny you mention Montelena, as my original "ringer" was to be a bottle of '96 Montelena, but I just thought it would be too tight & give itself away.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:11 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Apparently Draper himself thinks the 2001 is not a long ager, but the older vintages (even some with label notes suggesting early consumption) were so good that I just can't drink the stuff now. The '96 and '97 were also pretty darned unapproachable.

What constitutes a long ager to Mr. Draper, I wonder? I had the '01 at a large tasting back in '04: it was gorgeous and easily outclassed the '02 Bordeauxs I tasted that night, including the '02 Mouton. I am far from an expert at prognosticating the future development of wines, but I'd have said that that '01 was destined for a long life, too, though it was quite appealing even at that young age.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:46 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Apparently Draper himself thinks the 2001 is not a long ager, but the older vintages (even some with label notes suggesting early consumption) were so good that I just can't drink the stuff now. The '96 and '97 were also pretty darned unapproachable.

What constitutes a long ager to Mr. Draper, I wonder? I had the '01 at a large tasting back in '04: it was gorgeous and easily outclassed the '02 Bordeauxs I tasted that night, including the '02 Mouton. I am far from an expert at prognosticating the future development of wines, but I'd have said that that '01 was destined for a long life, too, though it was quite appealing even at that young age.

Mark Lipton

Someone over on eBob was quoting Draper as saying drink up inside of 15 years. I don't believe it.

I'm never shocked when young California Cabs best young Bordeaux. The styles are conducive to that sort of outcome. If I were placing my money (and I did!) I would go long on 2002 Mouton. The one time I had it I was amazed.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:49 pm

We had the 2000 last night, and while some thought it needed time, I found it to be excellent. This is the second or third time I've had the 2000, and this was clearly the best showing...not tight, those dusty tannins caressing the tongue, lovely notes of violets.... one of my WsOTN along with an '01 Karl Lawrence and a '95 St. Clement Oroppas[/b]
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Too bad there weren't too many wines in common, but at MoCOOL a few years ago, the Sunday morning brunch featured a Glen Ellen v. MonteBello tasteoff. The 1985 MonteBello was Robin's favorite, as it was for many others.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/mocool/mocool082403.phtml
-OW
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:20 pm

This past Saturday night, a friend was kind enough to serve the 1984 Ridge Monte Bello at a Christmas party. It was delicious and reminded me of the 1985 a little bit once it opened up. That was a kick-start to get me to finish up these notes from this Ridge Monte Bello vertical from last month. Here goes:

N.V. Gloria Ferrer Brut Sonoma. There’s lots of smoke, flint, and burnt matchstick on the nose, along with notes of lemon peel. In the mouth, it is creamy, with a frothy feel. It is fresh and tangy, with narrowing fruit leading to a mildly short finish. Still, it cleans the palate and does the trick.

2005 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Riesling Kabinett Urziger Wurzgarten. The nose is a bit taut, but shows some nice apple, crushed stone and sweet red berry aromas. It presents a nice, intense mouthful of wine, with a fairly high sweetness level, but with just enough acid balance. It is lighter bodied, but comes across as having a good bass note heft to it. The sweetness level seems to grow as it warms in the glass, but overall it is just damn easy to drink.

1999 Franz Hirtzberger Gruner Veltliner Smaragd Honivogl. Thanks to Ken and David for this and the next selection. This wine presents a fresh nose of green herbs, grapefruit, pomegranate, lemon tea and wet stones. It has good intensity in the mouth, with a vibrant acidity offsetting a moderately creamy texture. The flavor profile is hard to describe, with white pepper the one thing my notes picked up on. Off my beaten path a bit, but an enjoyable wine.

1997 Nikolaihof Riesling Spatlese Steiner Hund. This wine took a while to warm up to. Initially, it offers a big hit of nail polish remover that just scalds the nostrils. As a result, my notes are sketchy and they only really mention good body, good balance and good length. Others will have to weigh in here.

On to the main event:

1975 Ridge Monte Bello. Right off the bat, I’m thinking this is going to be a great night! Man, I could just sniff this wine all night! It is immediately alluring, with airy notes of dusty cedar, gentle cassis and those big soft chalky peppermint candy thingies. I held some in the glass a long time and also revisited at the end of the night, and the amazing thing is that the nose never changed one bit the whole time. In the mouth, it has totally resolved tannins and a soft mouthfeel. It is lean on the entry and unfortunately a bit thin through the middle, as well. Still, it is full of flavor, with a tart cassis profile set within a narrow band. It finishes soft and gently dry.

1976 Ridge Monte Bello. This, too, exhibits a simply lovely bouquet, in this case of worn leather, dark red berries, licorice and milk chocolate. It has a good sense of depth and density to its aromatics, and begins to smell like a younger Bordeaux as the night goes along—adding in notes of earth, tobacco and nuts. In the mouth, it shows more body than the 1975, with a long palate presence accentuated by dark berry fruits and crisp acidity. Soft, chalky tannins are barely hanging on, and it is a touch drying on the finish, but it feels nicely resolved.

1978 Ridge Monte Bello. The nose here seems pretty similar to the 1976, except everything is a bit fresher and brighter. Notable are aromas of darker leather, nutella, dark cherry, green pepper and dark cedar planking. It is by far the richest wine of the flight in the mouth, with solid medium to full body, and excellent sense of restrained extract. It is not as crisp as the previous 2 wines, but still exhibits a solid acid backbone. The long, dark-chocolate finish has good, chewy persistence. An outstanding wine all around, and a narrow Wine of the Night for me.

1980 Ridge Monte Bello. There are some funky things going on with this when first poured, but some of it sorts itself out with some time in the glass. The nose exhibits odd aromatics of brined olives, fresh tomato garden (leaves, dirt and all) and faint eucalyptus. In the mouth, it is soft and generous, but a bit gobby with its cherry fruit and notes of ginger. It has good heft, but not a ton of structure to keep it fresh. It definitely improved as the night went on, but may not have been the most representative bottle.

1985 Ridge Monte Bello. The nose is dense with pencil shavings, cedar, blue and black fruits, dark earth and hints of persimmon. It is bright, yet rich in the mouth, showing rich chocolatey tannins through the mid-palate and finish. It is velvety-textured and quite smooth, with a very nice finish. It feels plush, lush and rich, but all in good doses. At the end of the night, I came back to the bottle, and the last little bit was really kicking. This could easily have been my wine of the night, but had to settle for close runner-up.

1988 Ridge Monte Bello. One finds aromas of red currant, tobacco leaf, deep rich cassis, spices and black cherry on the nose of the 1988. It feels fresh in the mouth, with black cherry and tangy macerated cherry flavors. There are plenty of toasty, roasty notes to go with abundant spices. It has excellent length and has a seamless transition to the finish, which is long and pure with a spicy edge. Nice balance, too.

1994 Ridge Monte Bello. Corked.

1996 Chateau Pontet Canet Pauillac. Mystery double blind wine. I find this to be dark all around—in color, in aroma and in taste. The nose offers up dark earth, black currants, dark espresso grounds, and fresh blueberry. It feels dark and gobby in the mouth at first, but grows in elegance as the night goes along. It is nicely balanced, but tight all around, with dark fruit and significantly more tannic presence than anything tasted thus far. Indeed, in retrospect, this showed much more tannin than any Monte Bello, young or old. This is young, rich, intense and barely evolved—needing a long time before touching again.

1996 Ridge Monte Bello. I like the complex nose of this wine, which at different times suggests fresh tar, charcoal, rich dark red berries, incense, dark cassis, underbrush and faint menthol. In the mouth, it offers up some sweetness that is more noticeable than in any wine before it, but which I like a lot. It has excellent concentration, with a creamy, plush and rounded mouthfeel leading to a good, long finish. It is full-bodied and luxuriant and in a good spot right now for my tastes. I heard a lot of people commenting on some perceived heat with this wine, but I never got that, and when I pushed a few people to re-taste at the end of the night, all agreed that the heat was not there. My #3 wine of the night.

1997 Ridge Monte Bello. This exhibits one of the darkest colors of the night The nose is deep and a bit sweet, with red currants, cherry candy and Swedish licorice fish aromatics that grow and grow with air. This is a big mouthful of wine that just seems to be beginning to unfurl right now. It is tightly wound, yet starting to show some layering and texturing, along with hints of complexity. It is a solid effort, with richness well married to freshness—with soft tannins present throughout. I think some people also seemed to brush this vintage off, but give it a chance, especially a few years from now.

1999 Ridge Monte Bello. The 1999 is meaty and plummy on the nose, with elements of beef jerky, herbal notes, dark toast, nettles, dark cherry and raspberry tart. It has a dark fruit profile, but does not feel as dense as the 1996 or 1997, and indeed has a much more aggressive streak of fine acidity running through the middle of it. It all manages to hang together nicely and provide very pleasant drinking. However, I find the tannins on the finish to be a bit rough and drying. This can clearly benefit from more time in the cellar, but I personally would rather have the 1996 waiting for me there.

2000 Ridge Monte Bello. This offers up a similarly dense nose, but leaning more toward boysenberry, soft weedy tobacco, blueberry, dark cherry, green pepper and green herbs (and perhaps a bit of alcohol heat, as well). In the mouth, it is not as full as the ’96, ’97 or even ’99, and does not show as much structure either. Still, there is plenty of warm, roasted red fruit to enjoy and the wine overall kind of grows on you over time. Yet, the finish feels a bit perfunctory, and in this company, it is hard to say anything particularly special about what is clearly a decent wine by other standards.

2001 Ridge Monte Bello. I like the tight, vibrant nose here a lot, which features elements of red currant, nettles, soft moss, black cherry, dark mocha and hints of cedar and mint. On the palate, it is big-bodied, rich and plush—feeling tightly coiled in its holstered intensity. It has copious amounts of tannins but they feel big and pillowy. This feels like a wine with enormous upside potential that is going to be killer some time in the distant future. This is a wine to buy and cellar, despite what anybody else says about it.

1975 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes. Corked. It didn’t seem so at first, with aromatics of botrytis creamsicle, copper, bright apricot and brown sugar. But over time, a soft mustiness comes on and after some while longer there is no doubt whatsoever. Still, it is fairly rich in the mouth, with burnt sugar, crème brulee, dried pineapple, and candied, powdered grapefruit flavors to go along with solid tangy acidity.

1989 Marcel Deiss Gewurztraminer Altenberg de Bergheim SGN. This stuff is killer. It shows a lovely nose of orange blossoms, rose water, white flowers, litchis and stony minerality. It is soft and generous in the mouth with fabulous density and sweetness levels that are just right. Layered flavors of crystallized sugar, apricots, dried tropical fruits and brown spices keep pumping through to the massively long, viscous finish that stays with you for minutes on end.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 am

Looks like we were pretty much on the same page. I think the Nikolaihof was either heat damaged or dead, so not much to say about that.

While we may have had wines in different order, we still had the same 3 wines of the night. My order was 1985, 1978 1996.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote: . . . a stunning '99 Hirtberger Gruner Veltliner Honivogl Smaragd . . .

One of the great wines of our lives, IMO.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:41 am

That can be said about a lot of Hirtzberger wines (and Pichler, and Nikolaihof...). The 1999 Riesling Singerriedel was/is one of my wine epiphanies.