The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner in Piermont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Dinner in Piermont

by Jacques Levy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 am

We had dinner Saturday evening at Xaviar's of Piermont. As the wine list was a bit expensive, we brought a bottle of 1994 Haut Brion.

While the food was inconsistent; some of the dishes were brilliant, some were plain, other were just weird, the service was excellent and the place just as romantic as I expected.

The wine itself is easily my favorite 1994 Bordeaux. Gorgeous nose of cassis and berries, ruby color, taste of earth and cassis, I don't get the usual Graves minerality, but the tannins are not all resolved now and the fruit is still a few years away from its best showing. No need to rush and open this.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: Dinner in Piermont

by wrcstl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks for the TN and reference point. I have the Haut Brion and LMHB and was wondering if they were getting ready. Only have 4 bottles of each so guess I will wait a few more years.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks for notes. I like the '94 HB, when we did a vertical at Cathleen's I thought it did well considering it sells for less than half of most vintages we tasted.

Glad restaurant was romantic, sorry food was inconsistent. Wonder if there is a staff drain with Peter Kelly and I'm sure some of his old-timers at the new place in Yonkers.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:09 pm

wrcstl wrote:Thanks for the TN and reference point. I have the Haut Brion and LMHB and was wondering if they were getting ready. Only have 4 bottles of each so guess I will wait a few more years.
Walt

Walt, I also like the LMHB, I have a few bottles remaining. Both are really good and much more approachable than anything else I've had from 1994.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Wonder if there is a staff drain with Peter Kelly and I'm sure some of his old-timers at the new place in Yonkers.

I doubt it Dale, I think the techniques were spot on, the flavors between some components seemed to clash. Morels accompanying the sweetbreads were sweet from some unidentified sauce, hamachi with some tart slice of green apple (or was it pear?) with a wasabi (maybe) foam. Others may like it better, I just like simple focused flavors.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:
wrcstl wrote:Thanks for the TN and reference point. I have the Haut Brion and LMHB and was wondering if they were getting ready. Only have 4 bottles of each so guess I will wait a few more years.
Walt

Walt, I also like the LMHB, I have a few bottles remaining. Both are really good and much more approachable than anything else I've had from 1994.

Interesting about '94 Graves. I do not consider '94 an approachable year, more classic and siimilar to '88. Many times I have heard that Graves is approachable in this year but my experience is that other regions are not yet at their prime.
Walt