The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Twenty years in the cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Twenty years in the cellar

by Florida Jim » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Times change . . .

When I first got seriously into wine collecting, it was all California wine. I was on every cult mailing list – all but one of them long since discarded. But my tastes changed over time and I have been exclusively French and Italian oriented for much of the last decade.
Now, I find that I am beginning to enjoy some of the west coast wines again; a few pinot noirs, a chardonnay or two, an older cabernet and a growing number of syrahs. I like to think that the ones I like have a certain “old world” feel to them, but maybe I’m just kidding myself.
Whatever the case, it has been an interesting cycle and one I find repeated by many of my wine friends. Good wine can be found in so many places.

I have also started to make wine; something I never thought I’d do and actually tried to avoid. But when I let go of the “next big thing” idea in purchasing, I got into learning more about the areas where wine is produced, certain varieties that I favored and the handful of producers I thought hit my sweet spot consistently. And then, of course, I wanted to know how they did that.
So making wine is not so much a commercial venture for me (although someday I’d like to do that, too) but more about the hands-on experience of trying to figure it out.
It has given me a great respect for farmers and chemists – two jobs that I am not very good at. And it has made wine all that much more fascinating.

I have given up on the idea of saving some bottles for special occasions. Now, the only thing that keeps me from opening whatever it is that I want is the fact that a particular bottle may not be ready to drink.
They’re all special occasions and they’re all good bottles.

I have come to admire the British tradition of passing down, through the generations, a well-stocked wine cellar. Such a sense of legacy and the opportunity for truly remarkable wines to age sufficiently so that they are enjoyed at their very best; it certainly has an appeal.
My daughter was not interested in wine – until recently. Now, she uses it much as people do their evening martini, a relaxing moment when the work day is over. It’s still not on her dinner table but perhaps she will come to that, much as she has come to enjoy a glass after work.
And so, I think I will start to segregate my cellar; those for drinking in my lifetime and those to pass along. Maybe it will never get to that but I like to think that the possibility exists and that she and I can establish our own wine tradition.

But one thing has remained constant; the best part of wine is the people you meet.

And so it goes . . .
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Twenty years in the cellar

by Howie Hart » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Florida Jim wrote:...I have also started to make wine; something I never thought I’d do and actually tried to avoid. But when I let go of the “next big thing” idea in purchasing, I got into learning more about the areas where wine is produced, certain varieties that I favored and the handful of producers I thought hit my sweet spot consistently. And then, of course, I wanted to know how they did that.
So making wine is not so much a commercial venture for me (although someday I’d like to do that, too) but more about the hands-on experience of trying to figure it out.
It has given me a great respect for farmers and chemists – two jobs that I am not very good at. And it has made wine all that much more fascinating...
Welcome to the club! I've been doing it for over 30 years. Here is a link from the WLDG home page. An excellent book on wine making, and it's a free download: The Home Winemakers Manual
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

by MichaelJ » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:24 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
But one thing has remained constant; the best part of wine is the people you meet.

Very well said.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 pm

As time goes by I find many of the special bottles mostly get opened for the special people I have spent time with because of this special hobby.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Very nice post, Jim.

David has a very good point, and mirrors my life.

As to the passing along- I've tried (gently) to interest Dave (stepson) in wine. He seems to enjoy it (and especially when I open '88s, apparently his birthyear tastes the best to him!). I hope he develops a real interest. I've said that if he decides to join the wine society at his college, I'll fund his membership. I own a lot of wine, I hope he'll appreciate whatever is leftover. But if not I put instructions with my will so Betsy or David will at least be able access my CT and see valuations! And the names of some trustworthy ITB friends. Sentiment is great, but I want to make sure no one makes sangria from '78 Cheval Blanc! :)

Thanks for post, Jim, long make you drink!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Great post Jim,

Thought provoking in a good way. I have never thought of passing on my wine cellar to my children when I pass on but you have planted a seed in the fertile soil of my brain - you must be some type of grower. My oldest son is into wine, although he still prefers beer. I think he would take over the old man's cellar if need be, and use it well. He seems to be very young (21) for someone who already seems to prefer old world food style wines to new world sippers (the last three wines we had were an Oz Cab, a valpolicella ripasso and a Spanish old vines grenache and he panned the first wine and loved the other two - both great old world food wines)
Thanks for the post.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:34 am

Yes, wine certainly has an ability to be a hub around which people can congregate, socialize, share food and genial company. To me the whole motif of the wine-oriented lifestyle is a culture-building, culture-sustaining thing - all the more so when one actually plants grapes and begins the painstaking, but oh so rewarding process of making one's own wines!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:16 am

Florida Jim wrote:Times change . . .

When I first got seriously into wine collecting, it was all California wine. I was on every cult mailing list – all but one of them long since discarded. But my tastes changed over time and I have been exclusively French and Italian oriented for much of the last decade.
Now, I find that I am beginning to enjoy some of the west coast wines again; a few pinot noirs, a chardonnay or two, an older cabernet and a growing number of syrahs.
I have given up on the idea of saving some bottles for special occasions. Now, the only thing that keeps me from opening whatever it is that I want is the fact that a particular bottle may not be ready to drink.
They’re all special occasions and they’re all good bottles.

Jim,
Interesting progression and an identical one to mine plus everything in my cellar has zero cost so it can be opened. I started my wine life in CA many years ago but never really got seriously hooked on west coast wines. West coast does represent about 15% of my cellar with a couple I buy every year such as Dehlinger PNs, lots of ESJ and Rafanelli zins. I have two daughters, one drinks wine only occasionally and one has it most evenings with dinner. I do not plan on intentionally leaving any wine but enough escapes during visits that family obligations are fulfilled.

One depressing thought came to mind and I really think this is true. You start with big west coast and OZ wines, you evolve into the more suble and complex European wines that require cellaring and then you eventually go back to the big wines. As we age, and this does not apply to you or me, our palate begins to deteriorate and we need more to wake it up. I believe several of my wine drinking friends are going through this phase and believe some famous wine critics may also has this problem.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am

As always, your eloquence surpasses your taste in wine. A remarkable feat.