The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Grape names with accents

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Grape names with accents

by Neil Courtney » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Grape names with accents

Following on from Sue’s dissertation on the word Gewurztraminer I have found this list of names that have accents. It may not be exhaustive.

Does anyone know if any are in the same boat as Gewurztraminer in that the umlaut is used on the German version and not on the French. (I am too lazy to do the research).

And after doing a preview I find that some of the accent characters do not display on my computer. What is needed to display all accents? Is it forum dependent perhaps?

Vitis vinifera

Red grapes
Alvarelhão
Băbească Neagră
Blauer Portugieser / Kékoportó
Blaufränkisch / Lemberger / Kékfrankos / Gamé
Carignan / Carignane / Cariñena / Carignano /Mazuelo
Carménère
Dobričić
Fetească Neagră
Mourvèdre / Monastrell / Mataro
Négrette
Refosco / Refošk
Sousão
Tinta Cão
Touriga Nacional / Azal Espanhol / Preto de Mortágua
Valdiguié
Zinfandel / Crljenak Kaštelanski / Primitivo

White grapes
Airén / Valdepeñas
Albariño / Alvarinho = Cainho Branco
Aligoté
Bogdanuša
Ezerjó
Fetească Albă / Fetiaska = Leànyka
Fetească Regală
Gewürztraminer = Tramini
Grüner Veltliner
Hárslevelű
Huxelrebe = Weisser Gutedel = Courtillier Musqué
Izsáki Sarfehér
Krstač
Macabeo / Macabeu = Alcañón = Viura
Maria Gomes = Fernão Pires
Müller-Thurgau = Rivaner
Muscat of Alexandria = Moscatell / Moscatel de Málaga, de Setúbal
Parč
Pedro Ximénez = Alamís
Pinot Grigio / Pinot Gris
variant: Szürkebarát
Schönburger
Sémillon
Silvaner / Sylvaner = Österreicher
Torrontés
Viura / Macabeo / Macabeu /Alcañón
Würzer
Zéta

Source: Wikikpedia List of Grape Varieties
Last edited by Neil Courtney on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Grape names with accents

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:44 pm

while I realize that Grüner or Gruener are technically correct, I tend to use Gruner. And drink wines from Donhoff, Egon Muller, & Meo-Camuzet. I used to try and use accents, but then often couldn't find my results in search (or had to do separate searches for Méo and Meo). When I write notes, I post here and on Usenet, and the latter is really bad re consistent reading of characters. So now I just do the ugly American thing.

But if you do want to post accents correctly, Allchars is one of the all time great free programs.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:10 am

Whether they show or not on someone's display depends on the software displaying them (and the software they pass through, if any busybody human editor is involved) but if you do use them, they'll show up on many people's screens. (If they don't show up on yours, you'll miss part of the following because it uses them.)

A quick cut-paste template of common European accented letters is handy (you don't need a site, rule, shortcut key, or clever software):

á à ä â Å ç è é ê ë ï ö ô ü û ñ and ß
[Last one formally obsolete in Germany for several years. Alas.]

I also maintain a (rather larger) data base of accented words used at least once, i.e., a specialized dictionary -- saving time. I'm always adding words to computer dictionaries anyway -- Microsoft doesn't currently have "diaeresis" for instance, below (or even "Alsatians," when I first used the word with Microsoft software -- the online dic. suggested "Alaskans" -- such cases are many).

Even in English, some vowel situations are traditionally accented (the diaeresis in coördinate is fully obsolete in US while that in naïve is not, for some reason -- Microsoft's dictionary included; Brontë can't be, because it's a name). Aside from unusual cases like those and the one Neil gave (multinational Gewürztraminer -- I've a US relative who pronounced it ge-WURTS-a-meener, if that adds anything), accented spellings are standardized, just part of spellings. Observing them shows respect for languages other than your own, just as people in those languages take trouble to spell things in English. It's all the same thing.

Once you use any accented word once on a computer, the work is done -- you can can look it up again if you save your own writing. (Or collect them in one place, as here.)

Addendum: Watch out about errors if you post on this stuff because people thrill to jump on mistakes. I once carelessly posted about "Habañero" peppers. Instantly forgetting any interest in peppers, the local ill-humored fell all over this gaffe, fighting each other over who got there first.
Last edited by Max Hauser on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:16 am

Vitis vinifera needs an accent? That's news to me. It's scientific Neo-Latin. No accent needed, to the best of my knowledge.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 am

Vitis vinifera is a heading and does not have an accent. I can see all of Max's accents, and I can see all of the ones I have copied on Wikipedia and in MS Word, so it must be a forum/website based thing that stops them displaying.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:54 am

Ah, I missed the heading thing. Would have been more apparent if the headings had been bolded or underlined or italic.

I, too, see all the accents. It must be a browser configuration issue (can't be the WLDG server, or I wouldn't see them).

Mind you, I don't have any convenient way to enter accented Roman alphabetic characters myself, so I usually omit the accents and other diacritical marks.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:35 am

Pressing Alt and entering a code on the numeric keypad

Randy, I am not quite sure what you mean by "code"?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Pressing Alt and entering a code on the numeric keypad

Randy, I am not quite sure what you mean by "code"?

Bob, if you look at the link in Randy's post it is clearly explained.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:14 am

Re: Carmenère -

The correct FRENCH spelling for this variety is as above.

However, my local wine merchant's French language list I note that the word is written without accent, probably because it concerns a Chilean wine. I think that this is correct practice even for the pedantic, i.e. use the spelling of the country from where the wine is produced, for example for Chilean Carmenere and Alsatian Gewurztraminer.

Note that in French, if capital letters are being used, there are no accents. (My AZERTY keyboard has no facility for putting them on capitals except for the circumflex and umlaut.) But this rule is frequently ignored in practice for avoidance of ambiguity, as can be seen on sign boards all round France.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 am

Thanks for the link Randy!
Bob the “code” is the series of numbers under the symbol.

Salute
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for that Randy.

My frustration of not knowing how to do a Euro sign is now removed. And I can put illegal accents on French capital letters.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:31 am

Apologies for jumping in once again.

Three important German synonyms occur to me. I think that these are correct translations but please correct me if I am wrong?

Spätburgunder = Blauburgunder = Pinot noir
Grauburgunder = Pinot gris = Pinot Grigio
Weissburgunder = Pinot blanc

There is also a Rülander. Is this another synonym for Pinot gris.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:59 am

Tim,

Yes, Ruländer (note umlaut on ä not on ü) is a German synonym used mostly for more 'traditional' sweeter styles of Pinot Gris, whereas Grauburgunder tends to be the name used for the dryer styles - these are not set-in-stone regulations, though.

Wink
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Max Hauser wrote:
á à ä â Å ç è é ê ë ï ö ô ü û ñ and ß

I refuse to stop using ‘ß’. It hasn't completely disappeared after the grammar reforms. Much of the populace still uses it in handwriting, which is perhaps even more at risk of becoming obsolete.

-Bill Hööper
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:42 pm

Tim, just try to see if 'Alt Gr' plus the numeral 4 key on the top line, pressed together, produces the € symbol.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks Peter, I did not see that. Much appreciated, seasons greetings to you in St. Orbens.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Randy,

Yes, I do run Windows, and I'm aware of the ALT-nnn encodings, but frankly I can't be bothered to keep the table handy when I'm composing messages. MS Word and other applications let you use control keys (CTRL, ALT, ESC, and the like) along with the desired diacritical mark, to compose a letter with a diacritical. Much more intuitive and convenient than the generic Windows ALT codes.

I don't consider this an important enough issue to bother to keep the table of ALT encodings handy.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Max Hauser wrote:á à ä â Å ç è é ê ë ï ö ô ü û ñ and ß

Not obsolete at all, Max. It's just that in the last revision of German orthography they decided to be consisent with regard to the use of single and double consonants (ß vs. ss). Basically, a double consonant following a vowel indicates that the vowel is short. Words such as muß, daß, and floß where the ß had been preserved for historical reasons are now written as muss, dass, floss. After a long vowel or diphthong you still use ß, e.g. fließen, groß, Strauß, grüßen. Of course, there are a few other twists, but you can find them all here: Regeln und Wörterverzeichnis Entsprechend den Empfehlungen des Rats für deutsche Rechtschreibung Überarbeitete Fassung des amtlichen Regelwerks 2004.

Na dann, Prost!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:MS Word and other applications let you use control keys (CTRL, ALT, ESC, and the like) along with the desired diacritical mark, to compose a letter with a diacritical. Much more intuitive and convenient than the generic Windows ALT codes

Yes exactly. That's what I do with Windows (CTRL-: before the letter for an umlaut on it, for instance). There are far too many trivial things worth remembering to bother with something serious like ALT codes, dammit!
BUT if anyone caught my drift above -- you also now have a public cut-and-paste table of characters you can get from anywhere in the world. It's this thread. (No tools, codes, memorizations, software, &c, &c.)

Gary Barlettano wrote:"ß formally obsolete" It's just that in the last revision of German orthography they decided to be consisent ...

What? Spelling consistent in German?? Unglaublich. Phantastisch. Anyway Gary, (1) it was scholarly friends at a local university who mentioned a particular standard, I'll see if I can find out -- I half expect a DIN -- there's one for business letter layout, DIN5008 (I've violated it); (2) Rest assured, I was not about to stop using that character (I'm outside their legal jurisdiction).

First figure: "Trsn ... Tschsn ... Tznrn ...Trzésniewski!"
Second figure: "Gesundheit."
Trzésniewski Buffet
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Last time I was in Hamburg, they certainly weren't adverse to using ß in their street signs.

How long has ß been officially deprecated?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:How long has ß been officially deprecated?

Just that question is sub judice now. Will testify later.

Anyway it'd be like that elimination of the letter "Y" they did in the Netherlands several years ago. They don't go around changing existing signage or history. (That's more the domain of people like Yezhov and Beria and certain modern cults -- people who like to use airbrushes to remove unpersons from photographs. Compare David King's The Commissar Vanishes, an unusual coffee-table book. ISBN 0805052941)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Paul Winalski wrote:How long has ß been officially deprecated?

Paul, the ß has not been deprecated. They've just aligned its usage with that of the other consonants. Again, the basic rule is that a single consonant indicates that the preceding vowel is long, whereas a double consonant indicates that the preceding vowel is short. (There are still exceptions and a few other rules which don't need to be discussed here.)

ß, (scharfes s), is considered a single consonant and ss is its doubled counterpart. In the old orthography ß still showed up as an exception to be memorized preceding short vowels, e.g. muß which now must be written muss. The same goes for daß/dass, floß/floss etc. If, however, you can't type an ß, then ss is OK, but that's the way it's always been just like adding an e after a, o, u if you can't type an umlaut.

These and other long debated changes were introduced in '04, taught in schools since August '06 as optional, and then in August '07 became binding. There are tweaks for other German-speaking countries outside the FRG.

The whole thing is laid out here: Deutsche Rechtschreibung, if you want to plough through it. And there are quite a few other places on the web where the changes are catalogued and explained. Just type in deutsche Rechtschreibung.

So, just keep on using that good old ß, just use it in the right places. :lol:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:40 am

If you are using MS Word another way of not having to key the accents is to use the Auto Correct feature. I have set up gw to be corrected to Gewurztraminer, but without the accent, because I couldn't be bothered to set it up that way. Maybe I now need to have the gwu string entered to include the umlout u.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 am

Neil Courtney wrote:If you are using MS Word another way of not having to key the accents is to use the Auto Correct feature. I have set up gw to be corrected to Gewurztraminer, but without the accent, because I couldn't be bothered to set it up that way. Maybe I now need to have the gwu string entered to include the umlout u.

Neil, it's been noted above, but the absolute easiest way to create most of these characters is with the little program at AllChars for Windows. You tap Ctrl and then the appropriate character combination and the modifed character appears. There's no need to remember ASCII codes etc. and so on. The neat thing about this little add-on is that you can type these characters anywhere, e.g. in Outlook, Word, search engine etc.
And now what?
Next