The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: A beautiful old lady

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

TN: A beautiful old lady

by John Treder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:00 am

I made a pot pie of scallops and wild mushrooms for supper tonight, and I wanted a particularly tasty accompaniment, so I got out my last bottle of 1998 Angelo's Old Vine White.
There was a little bit of flocculent sediment floating around when I brought the bottle in, but it settled out nicely. The cork came out with no problem, though it was fairly wet. Not much aroma at first, but the first taste said it was fine. After an hour, the dusty-sweetish-flowery aroma that I associate with Angelo's Old Vine came out. The glass poured for supper was really pretty.
Lemon and melon and some of the dustiness of maturity on the tongue, some sort of tropical or spring flowers in the nose. If you didn't read the label, you'd have no idea of oak. Long, even, and a very smooth, almost oily finish, leaving a bit of melon behind.
I paid $9.00 for this wine in July 2001. Somehow, the alcohol content didn't find its way onto the label. No matter - it has no particular heat.
The variety isn't named because it's unknown. That hurt the saleability, and the vines weren't producing much either.
The vines were taken out after the '99 vintage. I have one bottle of '99 left.
The good stuff doesn't last forever, but it does last longer than you might think.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: A beautiful old lady

by Jenise » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 pm

One of California's most idiosyncratic and delicious white wines, and a field blend priced for a song at that. Rod should have charged $40 for it--it would have flown out the door at that price. At $10, no one could believe it was that good.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Giving Credit...

by TomHill » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Some folks might not pick up on it but this was a white made by Rod & Lynn Bergland at JosephSwan. It was a mighty tasty wine when it was released and I guess I'm not too surprised that it's still going strong. You should feel guilty, John, for buying a wine this good for so few $$'s!!! :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: TN: A beautiful old lady

by John Treder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:08 pm

A field blend, I suppose, but neither Angelo Frati, Joseph Swan nor Rod Berglund ever figured out what the variety was, or varieties were.
It was about 20 vines, I believe, and it only made 1 barrel the last couple of years.
And I could certainly believe how good it was!!
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Giving Credit...

by John Treder » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't feel guilty at all, Tom - nor do I feel guilty about drinking the bottle. After all, what's wine for?