The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Can't Miss Rieslings (Kuntz, Donnhoff)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Two Can't Miss Rieslings (Kuntz, Donnhoff)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:00 pm

2006 Sybille Kuntz Riesling Trocken (Mosel)
Typically pale color. Lovely fruit and creamy aromatics with very fine minerality and creamy fruit on the palate. Very good acid presence, which is a great counterpoint to the creamy, mouthfillng texture of the wine. Fantastic density as well, so for an entry-level trocken this is quite extraordinary. At a sugested retail of $17.99 it's a great value in dry Riesling, and one that I plan to purchase by the case+. This might be my wine find of 2007. DELICIOUS! (92 pts.)

Then there was the inevitable...

2006 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese (Nahe)
This is yet another winner from a site that is too often overlooked when folks go chasing Hermannshohle or Brucke (or Felsenturmchen). Kirschheck is the sunny side of the street, with bright yellow and red fruit and wonderful balance. Don't let the approachability of this wine fool you though, it's got the depth and density to reward many years of cellaring. Another stunner from Donnhoff. (94 pts.)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: WTN: Two Can't Miss Rieslings (Kuntz, Donnhoff)

by Howard » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:42 pm

I'm new to Riesling. Is it my imagination or is it really so easy as to just find and buy any Donnhoff I can get my hands on? Seems that's all I have to do to have an amazing bottle.
Howard
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:15 pm

It's not hard to source Donnhoff. There's a good bit of it, and German Riesling is still a niche market.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi David, I thought I would give you a heads-up on a Mosel article. In this months Wine and Spirits (dec`07 issue) on pages 48-53 there is an interesting article by David Schildknecht on some of the early vineyards history plus an update on some notable Saar estates. Have you seen this already?!!