The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Christmas Eve and subsequent evenings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Christmas Eve and subsequent evenings

by John Treder » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 am

The oven died shortly before Thanksgiving, so we didn't get our annual "turkey fix" until Christmas. Turkey, Grandma's bread stuffing, green beans with onion, garlic and basil, mashed potato, and pumpkin pie. All the things of my childhood. javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile

I had a red and a white available. I got the Burgundy at the winery on a trip to France in May 2002.
Edmond Cornu Ladoix "Les Carrieres" 2000 $11.78 converted from euros at the time.
A little leather and some of what I suppose is called “garrigue” - mixed herbs, thyme and something like marjoram or sorrel predominating. Light ruby color, slight legs, subtle sort of forest-like aroma. Moderate length. Very much a PN. Held up well for three days.
13% alcohol.

Quivira Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel 2004 $17 at the winery in October 2007.
Ripe, smooth and friendly. Great with leftover turkey. Better by itself at the end of the meal than along with turkey Tetrazzini – the casserole sort of overpowered the wine.
14.2% alcohol 6372 cases produced.

De Lorimier Alexander Valley Estate Bottled Chardonnay 2005 $17 from the winery club in February 2007
Definitely a CalChard, not overdone. Stood up well to the turkey and to cold turkey with leftover trimmings the next day. Lots of lemon, medium length, verging on a hot finish. 14.2% alcohol

I was quite taken with the Zin as a companion to the leftover turkey. And that bottle was probably as good as it will get. Not a keeper.