The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

White Wine for Cooking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

White Wine for Cooking

by wrcstl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:41 am

Many argue that you should use really good wines when cooking. I can see some logic but my experience moves in the direction of, at least for reds, solid fruit driven wines that are relatively inexpensive. As mentioned before Yellow Tail Shiraz is a wine I do not drink but keep several bottles in a kitchen rack to use in beef stews and sauces.

Now to my point. What white wine do you use to cook with? The American Test Kitchen (TV version of Cook's Illustrated) did a panel test on what wine, and what variety was best. They had a definite winner; sauvignon blanc, and price did not make any difference. The acidity held up and there was only a distant #2. Chard finished very low and never use an oaked chard. German Rieslings also did not do well as the RS in most did not work. The #2 was cooking vermouth for those who need something that will last and don't want to open a bottle each time they need a cup of white wine. Thought this was interesting.
Walt
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: White Wine for Cooking

by John Treder » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:47 pm

I use "very dry sherry" at $5 a bottle for the white cooking wine on my shelf. I've tasted it - it isn't "bad", but I wouldn't choose it to drink by itself. I also use whatever white is open and has about half a glass left in it. :-)
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Lately I've been working my way through a case of ESJ Bone-Jolly Gamay Rose. Throw a cup or two of this into any recipe calling for "dry white wine" and you get great results. I think it's the acid/fruit/no oak combo that makes this a great cooking AND slurping wine. I've used it in Manhattan style fish soup, red pizza sauce, poaching sauce for fish, etc.
With this in mind, I'm not surprised sauvignon blanc is such a good choice as well.
Howard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Sauvignon Blanc here. I go up in price a bit, not so much for the cooking but to make the cook happy.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:41 pm

i tend to use whatever no oak high acid wine is handy - including vermouth - which as was pointed out will last and last. muscadet is one of my usualy choices - but i surely understand SB as well - as long as it isn't one of the CA oaky ones - or an oaky white graves. if the wine hasn't enough acid, i'm not above adding a couple of drops of wine vinegar either.
david creighton
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:00 pm

I am very happy to read that Sauvignon Blanc is the best white wine to use, because we drink more of it than any other white varietal. The truth is we tend to use whatever bottle of white wine might already be open and in the fridge (or whatever white we plan to drink that night). That could include SB, Viognier, Muscadet, Picpoul, Semillon, Chenin Blanc, or some kind of a white blend. Since we do not drink oaky white wines, all of these seem to work quite nicely.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Put me in the "whatever's open" crowd. If nothing is, I tend to open an inexpensive Macon. I tend to go for acidity and no oak.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26 pm

I, too, have been using whatever is open. If nothing is open, I have been using the Fume Blanc from Chateau St. Jean.
no avatar
User

Paul Simpson

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

Illinois

by Paul Simpson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm

I've never considered any white with RS for cooking but always with high acidity and no oak. For me a German QBA has always worked well and has been inexpensive too.

Paul
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I usually use some homemade hybrid to cook with, either Cayuga or Vidal.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:38 pm

Same as Howie - lately I've been using my '06 Dry Cayuga and it works just fine.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:16 pm

I use dry white vermouth, and add to the bottle other whites when I have just a little left in a bottle. I also keep sherry, madiera, port, and sometimes sweet vermouth on the counter for cooking. Some things, like mushrooms, really need sherry.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:16 pm

I like to use very decent drinkable, but not expensive, wines in cooking.

Sauvignon Blancs (preferably without excessive, or any, oak, such as those New Zealanders recently posted about here) have been my mainstay since early 1980s. In some cases you have to watch out if they are insipidly sweet which can be a problem with cheap US labels. Secondarily Chardonnays (sometimes under the label of a lighter white Burgundy), again not oaky. All of these wines are good to serve on the table also.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 pm

Paul Simpson wrote:I've never considered any white with RS for cooking but always with high acidity and no oak. For me a German QBA has always worked well and has been inexpensive too.
Paul

Hi Paul, you have been gone for a bit, so it is good to see you back again. I suppose work is slowing down now that the holiday rush is all but over.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:35 pm

For a while we cooked with vermouth because it keeps longer than table wines, but it can produce bum results because of the herb content.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Whatever white has been open too long is great for cooking.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:14 am

Interesting post, Walt. I'm another "whatever's open" type, but I prefer crisp, unoaked wines with good fruit for cooking regardless of grape--Australia's Yalumba unoaked at about $9 is a good choice if I'm buying something because I need quantity. I use white vermouth sometimes but only when I want the vermouth taste--I don't consider it interchangeable with the fresh and fruity taste of table wine.
no avatar
User

Paul Simpson

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

Illinois

by Paul Simpson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Bob,

It has been to long, you're right and fun to be back. The rush is over and I am looking forward to a few days off here and there in the new year.

Best

Paul
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 pm

I tend to use the wine I am going to have with the meal. I have a couple of opened bottles of cheap Aussie Shiraz (yes they are turning into fine vinegar) which I would use occasionally. I have found that adding a splash in a slow cooker tends to mask any fault the wine may inherently have. White wine wise, I like to use a Sauvignon Blanc or at times a Rhone white blend.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:51 pm

I guess I'm in the "whatever's open" club. I do prefer, though, to use the same wine in the food that will be drunk with the meal.