The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Adventures of an amateur in Wine and WTN (sort of)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

Adventures of an amateur in Wine and WTN (sort of)

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Friends...

As I've posted here, recently my tastes have taken me into more complex reds and accordingly (for reds) I have drunk mostly Pinot Noir/Burgundy with an occaisional Shiraz or a blend, but I haven't drunk a straight-up California Cabernet in a long time. It wasn't a real plan or anything, it just seemed to work out that way.

But tonight I was making myself some chili for dinner, and I thought, I need a wine that can stand up to this concoction I am making. And, conveniently, I own some big reds that I put away in prior years. So down in the cellar I went and after some playing around I emerged with a bottle of Chateau Souverain, Alexander Valley, Cabernet 1999.

I didn't give it any time to breathe after opening it and the first taste was honestly a bit bitter but I least I knew to give it a chance. 15-20 minutes later the bitterness was gone and I rediscovered the real meaning of the term "fruit bomb." WOW! The grapiness of it was amazing. It almost seemed to explode in my mouth. No, the chili wasn't going to wash this one out. So what did it taste like to me? Good question... glad I asked. Well, I really enjoyed the balance between the grape/berry flavors and the tannins. The oakiness had subsided to just an undertaste (as opposed to some Cabernets I have had where oak is the seemingly primary flavor). It had almost a hint of sweetness to it... not in the residual sugar sense but rather in the inate essence of the grape itself. This wine had had enough time to actually come into balance. And although this wine is clearly ready to drink now I firmly believe that it could wait quite a few more years and would expect further improvement.

Did the fact that I hadn't had a Cabernet in so long affect the impression this wine made on me?.... undoubtably, yes. Still, I won't wait so long for the next time. In fact, I wonder what the other half of the bottle will taste like tomorrow.

Happy Holidays,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall