The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A question on Zind-Humbrecht labels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

A question on Zind-Humbrecht labels

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Went shopping today to blow..I mean, carefully spend the money and gift certificates I got for Christmas.

I bought a couple of wines from Zind-Humbrecht: Gewurztraminer Wintzenheim 2005 and the Pinot Gris Herrenweg De Turckeim 2005. I noticed that the two labels were quite different and wondered why. Both from the same winery and the same year, but the label for the Gewurztraminer was dark yellow with a large coat of arms on it and the script looked very traditional and Germanic. The label for the Pinot Gris was cream colored, featured a drawing of what I assume is the winery and the script and overall appearance was much more modern.

Any thoughts on why there would be a difference?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: A question on Zind-Humbrecht labels

by Bill Hooper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Bruce,

The 'Village' wines are bottled in the traditional yellow label, the Herrenweg de Turkheim (located in the backyard) wines show a picture of the vineyards and winery and are labeled in block lettering. The Grands Crus (and other important single vineyard wines) are solid cream with the vineyard name in large script and either 'Alsace' or 'Alsace Grand Cru' on the top and a large red and blue crest (if it is Vendange Tardive' it will be labeled so in red.) The Clos Windsbuhl label is a darker cream color with a picture of that vineyard on the label and a rotated sepiatoned crest. The Selection de Grains Nobles label is cream with a dark heavy border and rotated sepiatoned crest.

It isn't uncommon for Alsatian producers to have completely different labels for their 'tiers'. Check out Marcel Deiss' Grands Crus labels (if you come across them) -they look to be torn straight from medieval texts.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com