The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1983 Giscours (Margaux)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1983 Giscours (Margaux)

by Jenise » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:48 pm

Needed a softer wine for chicken and dumplings last night, so I chose this from the necrotic-and-possibly-doomed corner of our cellar. This was a compromised bottle: obvious capsule corrosion, and beneath that the cork was fully saturated with surface mold, but it did come out whole. Decanted to separate the better wine from about an inch of heavier sediment. Not unexpectedly, wine looked fully mature-- reddish purple-brown, medium body. Tasted of crushed berries and beef consomme with a bit of sandalwood; nice acid, resolved tannins. Didn't improve in the glass, but didn't further degrade. Merely pleasant, but pleasant to the last drop.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 1983 Giscours (Margaux)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:54 am

Jenise wrote:Merely pleasant, but pleasant to the last drop.

From the "possibly doomed" corner I'm sure you were happy with that showing. I think Giscours kind of struggled in 80s and 90s, but '83 was a strong vintage in Margaux (probably better than '82). Thanks for notes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:49 am

Sounds enjoyable as an accompaniment (rather than a distraction) to a meal. Isn't that what matters after all? :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:Merely pleasant, but pleasant to the last drop.

From the "possibly doomed" corner I'm sure you were happy with that showing. I think Giscours kind of struggled in 80s and 90s, but '83 was a strong vintage in Margaux (probably better than '82). Thanks for notes.

I love the '83 vintage--an '83 Margaux was the first First Growth I ever tasted--and there are some great bargains at auction if you're willing to take a chance on a wine that's beyond Parker's drinking window where the "pointy people" fear to tread. This was one of those--drinking it was less disappointing than receiving it and finding undeclared signs of past seepage.

And David, you're right. That was kind of the point of this note--sometimes even bad bottles are good enough.