The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 D'Angelo Estate Winery Cabernet Franc (Lake Erie North Shore VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2002 D'Angelo Estate Winery Cabernet Franc (Lake Erie North Shore VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:15 pm

I've just finished a lamb steak drizzled with my homemade rosemary balsamic reduction sauce and opened a 2002 Cab Franc from D'Angelo that I picked up recently while driving down past Amherstburg, which is some twenty-odd kilometres south of Windsor, Ontario. On the same visit, I also made sure to stock up on Sal D'Angelo's most excellent Old Vines Foch (Ontario's best in my opinion) from a 1984 vineyard, and the regular Foch made from a younger (1998) vineyard.

The 2002 Cab Franc is 13% alc./vol. and has a very pleasant weathered-sumac/garnet hue all the way to the rim; it's clear garnet at the centre. Light yet complex nose of red berries and a gentle, measured bit of green pepper; overall it's a spicy, appetizing nose that's delicate and well apportioned. Crisp and dry on the entry with lots of resolved, velvety tannins right on the tip of the tongue; dry and cleansing, refreshing and balanced with exceptional palate-feel. A perfect food wine. Elegant, medium-bodied and clean, it's drinking very nicely now. I enjoyed this and wish I had bought more.

Happy New Year to all.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: WTN: 2002 D'Angelo Estate Winery Cabernet Franc (Lake Er

by Ed Draves » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:13 am

Thanks for the note, Paul. Ontario is a great wine area- too bad you Ontario folks drink it all up- we NY retailers cannot get much!!! :D
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2002 D'Angelo Estate Winery Cabernet Franc (Lake Er

by Paul B. » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:45 pm

You know, Ed, I have the same feelings about the Finger Lakes, especially vis-a-vis wines from heirloom varieties such as Diamond and Vergennes - these wines just never ever make it over our border!

All the best to you in 2008.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca