The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pehu-Simonet Blanc de Blancs NV - New Year's Eve Fizz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Pehu-Simonet Blanc de Blancs NV - New Year's Eve Fizz

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:40 pm

A Christmas gift from Beth Sheligo became our NYE wine.

Rather gaudy (ugly) package (clear glass with day-glo green label). Pale yellow color, fine bead. Initially very reticent on the nose, but air brings out apple (Laura says cider, never having read the Theise Champagne catalog where Terry says cidery) and mineral. More air and the wine broadens and deepens, gaining complexity and richness, and losing some of that linearity that I don't like in all Chardonnay Champagne. Overall quite nice, and there's abit in the bottle for sampling today. (87 pts. for the wine. 72 pts. for the packaging)

Per Theise catalog it is 70% 2004 juice with 30% 2002. Well worth buying.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Re: WTN: Pehu-Simonet Blanc de Blancs NV - New Year's Eve Fizz

by TraciM » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:12 pm

David...just had this one on New Year's Day. Brand new to my local shop, the 'champagne' guy described it as toasty. ???? It's the farthest thing from. Your notes are very similar to mine. In fact, when my girlfriend and I tasted it we both claimed "apple cider-y" at the same time. I plan on picking up a few more bottles and spending a little more time with it next time. This bottle got sucked down right at the beginning of my party.

Totally agree on the packaging.

Traci
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pehu-Simonet Blanc de Blancs NV - New Year's Eve Fizz

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:33 pm

For what it's worth, Terry Theise doesn't like the packaging either & it seems like it will change in the near future.
Decisions are made by those who show up