The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The best Chianti ever made?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: The best Chianti ever made?

by Saina » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:44 pm

New Year's day dinner was just a quiet informal affair. We had some left overs of traditional Finnish Christmas fare: potato, rutabaga and carrot casseroles, pork with lots of mustard and Atlantic herring in a dozen different guises. Finnish Christmas food is perhaps the most wine-unfriendly food I can think of (especially the fish since most of the sauces are very vinegary), so I was surprised at how beautifully the Tempier rosé worked with many of the foods. The Chianti was a bit tough with the food, but we were thirsty:

Tempier Bandol Rosé 2004 is earthy and well structured, but with some attractive strawberried sweetness; it still evaporates too fast. As does Podere le Boncie Chianti Classico Le Trame 2004.

It seems very unforced and natural, and exceptionally vibrant. Typical Chianti in its cherry and sandalwood aromas, but youthfully tannic still. A very refreshing drop. Lovely. (And I don't even like Sangiovese, lol!) The 2002 was a stunning wine also - so not all from that vintage was lousy though that is what one tends to hear...

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: The best Chianti ever made?

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Otto,
thanks for notes. I do confess that I tend to grimace when people make statements (even if phrased like questions) about something being "best ever made", without showing that they have tasted most of what fans would consider the leading few dozen candidates. I just think "best Chianti I have tasted" is better phrasing. Others will of course disagree with me.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I do confess that I tend to grimace when people make statements (even if phrased like questions) about something being "best ever made", without showing that they have tasted most of what fans would consider the leading few dozen candidates.

Yes, I understand the point. Occasionally I get a bit vexed with the preponderance of superlatives used on some sites. Though I am a bit surprised you didn't then take issue with when I said that I don't usually care for Sangiovese! But having said that, I don't pretend to be an expert on Chianti (or Sangiovese) but in tastings here I do every year get to taste most of what are considered the "top producers" plus many of lesser fame. So amongst those, this (and the '02 of the same wine) was a standout.

But isn't taste always a supremely subjective matter? Doesn't this fact alone make the title obvious that it is my opinion?

Best,
Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: Though I am a bit surprised you didn't then take issue with when I said that I don't usually care for Sangiovese!

I don't have a problem with anyone offering an opinion on any wine (and if they note their preferences, all the better). The fact that you don't often like Sangiovese but like this is an interesting point, that doesn't make your viewpoint any less valuable. Just as I can say that something is the best Marechal Foch or Nero d'Avola I've tried, even if neither is high on my list of favorites.

I do every year get to taste most of what are considered the "top producers" plus many of lesser fame. So amongst those, this (and the '02 of the same wine) was a standout.

But isn't taste always a supremely subjective matter? Doesn't this fact alone make the title obvious that it is my opinion?

Of course it is your opinion. But "best ever made" implies long and deep experience. I'd want to know that someone tasted most of the top Chiantis from most of the most acclaimed vintages before I gave any weight to that statement. I don't have a ton of Chianti experience, but some of my all-time favorites are the 78/85/90 Monsanto Il Poggios, '90 Felsina Rancia, '88 di Ama Bellavista. I've also loved many younger Chiantis. But I would never claim that any of them were "best ever made", because I'd have to have 100X the experience I have to begin thinking of that sort of statement.

I like reading your notes. Sometimes our tastes agree, sometimes not. But I enjoy reading and considering them in any case. But I must admit that when I read huge sweeping statements without any sense of historical perspective my interest wanes and respect falters. I have no problem with "this is the best Chianti I ever tasted," but "best ever made" requires more backup. As I noted, I have zero problems with your notes, I just think the title added nothing to the conversation. Just my opinion.