The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Time To Start On Eno - 05 Eno Zin & 05 Eno Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Time To Start On Eno - 05 Eno Zin & 05 Eno Pinot

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 pm

My new Eno is here! I have tucked away my remaining 03s and 04s ... but I thought I should take a crack at some 05s.

• 2005 Eno Wines Zinfandel Old Vine Teldeschi Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (1/1/2008)
    This is drinking awesome. Lively aromatics and a really nice mouthfeel. Plain delicious ... but also a nice line of acidity and a wee bit of structure to make sure this thing stays together. Ripe fruit and a nice sweetness. Works great with food ... and fun at parties. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Eno Wines Pinot Noir Fairview Road Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/27/2007)
    Hey ... I'm drinking slh pinot! I do love this vineyard (particularly syrah) and thought I better try the 05. I saved some in a small bottle for 4 days. For the first few hours I was worried about the aromatics. I was noticing the alcohol and heat but that mellowed as time when on and was completely gone when tried 4 days later. As is par for Fairview, there was a nice amount of grapefruit. On the palate this seems to show more slh than the 04. At least at first. There was heat and I found the wine flabby. With a little bit of airtime the wine integrated so the sweet cherry fruit showed and the wine finished strong. I shared the small bottle with a friend and he loved it. I went back to look at my notes to see similarities. Clearly the wine was showing better balance and was more complete. It is a rich and tasty pinot. This wine will need a few years. (89 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason