The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sons of fat sheep

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: Sons of fat sheep

by Bruce K » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 am

Going through another backlog of notes, these from the Loire:

Claude Branger 2005 Muscadet Sevre et Maine Sur Lie les Fils des Gras Moutons, $9
Very nice Muscadet nose of citrus, brine/seashore, earth and lots of minerals. On the palate there is rich citrus fruit accented by some salinity and lots of minerals. A little more fruit-forward than other Muscadets I’ve had, but plenty of tart, bright acidity and minerality to keep it authentic. Makes for a good match with homemade curry. Importer: Roy Cloud/Vintage ‘59 imports.

Clos Roche Blanche 2005 Touraine Cabernet
, $14
Delightful aromas and flavors of black cherry, tobacco, earth, herbs and minerals. It’s fairly intense with darker than expected color, yet it’s not heavy and is balanced by bright, refreshing acidity. It also has mouth-drying tannins; were it not for the fake cork, I’d expect this to be a good ager. Still, it’s really enjoyable now and an excellent match with pesto. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Domaine de Vacheron 2002 Sancerre rouge, $24
This has a beautiful nose of cherries, flowers, cinnamon and autumn leaves. The palate starts out seeming a bit bitter and diluted, but it comes around with a little time and especially with food to be enjoyable, with cherries and earth. It’s hard for me to tell if it’s being a bit ornery because it’s too old or somewhat closed now; at times it seems weak and past peak but then a decent dose of tannins is evident at times, too. At any rate, with hot alder-smoked, maple-soy-ginger glazed sockeye salmon, it’s very enjoyable. Importer: Dionysos Imports, Inc.

Domaine de Chatenoy 2003 Menetou-Salon rouge, $20
Terrific. Effusive nose and palate with delightful bright strawberry/cherry fruit accented by earth and cinnamon. Fruity but not jammy with refreshing acidity and wonderful balance and smoothness. Outstanding match with turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing and sweet potatoes — really an ideal pairing. Importer: V.O.S. Selections.

Henry Pellé 2000 Menetou-Salon rouge Les Cris, $19
Great aromas and flavors of Pinot cherry, cinnamon, earth and minerals. With bright fruit, refreshing acidity and silky texture, it goes beautifully with wild mushroom-artichoke lasagne. At seven-plus years of age, it's still going strong. Importer: Michael Skurnick.

Clos du Tue-Boeuf 2004 Cheverny Rouillon, $16
This really hits the spot. A delightful nose of flowers, strawberries, earth and minerals is followed by vibrant strawberry flavors accented by more earth and minerals. It has nice texture, with very refreshing acidity and good structure. Outstanding match with spaghetti. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Clos du Tue-Boeuf 2003 Cheverny La Caillère, $16.50
Very face powdery on the nose at first, a little too much, but then some dusty, earthy, minerally and herbal aromas and flavors come into play, enhancing the strawberry fruit and making the wine more interesting and enjoyable overall. Excellent match with a potato/onion/spinach/aged Gruyere omelette. Two days later, it’s similar but less high-toned and more minerally and complex. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Catherine & Pierre Breton 2005 Bourgueil Franc de Pied, $20
Wow! This has a fantastic nose mixing bright cherry, flowers and herbs in a delightful combination. The palate follows, with clear, pure, bright red cherry fruit, plenty of herbs, and some minerals and earth. Silky smooth with refreshing acidity and perfect balance, this is better than the sum of its parts and better than I can describe. It goes great with leftover turkey, stuffing, roasted root vegetables, etc. Two days later, it’s just as magnificent, maybe with a little tobacco added to the mix. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Bernard Baudry 2004 Chinon Les Granges
, $13
This is really nice, with classic herbal, tobacco, mineral and cherry aromas and flavors. Reasonably smooth, though there are some tannins. Goes very nicely with a tofu stir-fry. It remains very enjoyable over the next three days. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

François Pinon NV Vouvray Petillant Brut
, $15
Outstanding bubbly with minerals, herbs and citrus aromas and flavors. It’s very crisp, refreshing and balanced with nice texture from the bubbles. Bone dry. I’m not normally a huge sparkling wine fine but I just loved this. It matched wonderfully with a variety of cheeses and appetizers.
no avatar
User

Kevin O'Connell

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Maryland

Re: WTN: Sons of fat sheep

by Kevin O'Connell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I am such a big fan of Clos du Tue-Boeuf Rouillon, it really seems to pair very well with so many dishes. I'm surprised there are not more Rouillon wines out there.

Kevin
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 pm

I am such a big fan of Clos du Tue-Boeuf Rouillon, it really seems to pair very well with so many dishes. I'm surprised there are not more Rouillon wines out there.

Me likey too.

I have no idea how the Rouillon differs from the regular Cheverny or la Caillere, but I suspect all of Tue-Boeuf's bottlings are produced in fairly small quantities with a relatively small percentage imported to the U.S. Perhaps the importer could share his knowledge, though it doesn't seem like he posts here anymore...

At any rate, Chambers Street is the only place I've seen that carries the Rouillon.
no avatar
User

Kevin O'Connell

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Maryland

by Kevin O'Connell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Maybe Rouillon is a vineyard and not say a town or geographical area which would account for the lack of other offerings.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:58 am

I always thought Rouillon was a cuvee name, but I have no first-hand info.