The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

about the Wine Lexicon and Portuguese Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Scott Culp

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

about the Wine Lexicon and Portuguese Wines

by Scott Culp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm an American ex-pat who, except for a 7-yr interval, has been living in Portugal since 1991. I teach English and French and do a fair amt of translating in 3 languages.
After accepting the job of translating the website for a small winery, I decided to go to some websites to look at "the vocabulary" of wine-making & wine-tasting to refresh my memory & make the work go faster.
When I went to the Wine Lover's Page Lexicon I was surprised to see hardly any mention at all of PORTUGUESE wines, wine-growing regions, grape varieties, etc. "Port wine" doesn't even have an entry (but vinho verde and madeira do, thankfully). Meu Deus !
I realize that Portuguese wines don't get exported in large quantities to the States, but I'd like to be a promoter of my adopted country's wines. First off, what do members here have to say abt the Portuguese wines you've tasted? What do you think about them?
Then we can work on beefing up the Lexicon, ok? :)
Happy New Year to all - Feliz Ano Novo,
Scott
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: about the Wine Lexicon and Portuguese Wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:34 pm

Whoooooo Scott. There is an Open Mike: Douro running right now where a few of us, especially Tim in Belgium, are tasting some of the red table wines from this region. I will bump up for you with some comments so keep your eyes peeled!
Here in Edmonton Alberta we have a great choice from Portugal but it seems pretty spotty elsewhere over the border to the south of us. Glad to have you around here, go and post some TNs...... we are ready!

A 'search' on Portugal produced 217 matches.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Scott, in the past 4 years or so, it has seemed to me that most table wines that I have found fall into two categories. Either pretty darn expensive ($50) and up and the rest are pretty oh-hum. Now I am not painting all Portuguese wines with the same tar brush, just those in my market, which is darn few.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Bob H, seems I am correct in my assumption that choice is indeed limited.
Gonna have to arrange a swop, a Marsanne for a nice Doure table red!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:50 pm

That could be arranged Bob. Do you have an address I can use to ship?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Scott Culp

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

by Scott Culp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 am

Hello Everyone....
Bob P. = Glad to read that Alberta has a nice selection of Portuguese wines. When I lived in Toronto, I lived a 5-min walk from the Summerhill LCBO on Yonge St. (FYI: the LCBO is the provincial liquor store in Ontario) and they had a very nice general selection of Portuguese wines. The LCBO in the Portuguese neighborhood was even better stocked, although a much smaller store. I fear that in the US, away from areas (NYC, Newark, Boston, Rhode Is.) with a large Portuguese community, pickings will indeed be slim.
Bob H. = I'd be curious to read what inexpensive, "ho-hum" wines you've seen on your local shelves. I'm certainly NOT saying that all Portuguese wine is great, but if you give me some names of the lesser priced ones that you suspect are not so appealing, I can at least tell you if I've tried them here and if they're pleasant enough. Funny how the really excellent and the really dull seem to get imported. I will say though that this summer, when visiting my sister in the Baltimore area, her local liquor outlet (a very large place) had a nice selection of Portuguese wines.
Have a nice weekend everyone,
Scott
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Thought this might be of interest......>

http://www.wineanorak.com/portugal/port ... st2007.htm

Jamie has put together a good list here!