The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A wine tasting funk!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

A wine tasting funk!!

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 pm

This is one of those "Is it just me or...." kind of threads.

Does anyone else ever seem to have a streak of bad wines? It seems that the last five or six wines I have tried have either been quite obviously flawed (corked, etc.) or just unpleasant (thin, bitter, little or no fruit, etc.)

What makes things even more frustrating is that the wines in the latter category are ones that I have purchased after reading very good reviews, so I know the wine is supposed to be good, it's just the bum bottle I bought.

I know I can return bad wine to the LCBO for a full refund (they are very good that way) but it still frustrates the heck out of me, particularly after a difficult or crappy day when I am very much looking forward to dinner with my lovely wife, great food, nice background music and a good bottle of wine.

So, is it just me, or does anyone else go through a bad streak of bottles?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A wine tasting funk!!

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Yessir - It happened to me several weeks back where I had three corked wines in a row and then another one a few days later. It sucks.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Ruth was still with the Red Sox the last time I had a good red Burgundy. Long dry spell for a tasty Riesling as well. On the other hand, I'm still trying to find a bad 2000 Bordeaux. Just stay strong and your luck will turn.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:This is one of those "Is it just me or...." kind of threads.

Does anyone else ever seem to have a streak of bad wines? It seems that the last five or six wines I have tried have either been quite obviously flawed (corked, etc.) or just unpleasant (thin, bitter, little or no fruit, etc.)

Bruce I have had that kind of thing happen to me, and usually does a couple times a year. When it does happen, I am likely to blame myself or at least my palate. I believe it just goes on vacation to some foreign land and doesn't let me know it is gone. IOW, I think the palate is just off and sometime soon it will return.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Nah, Bruce, it's just you.

God hates you and he wants to punish you so you'll really feel the pain.

:D
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 am

Bruce,
You're not alone on this. A few times/year my palate goes whacky (some claim that is a permanent condition :mrgreen: ) and wine just doesn't seem right...or maybe I just lack enthusiasm for wine. I call these slumps and they usually last 10-14 days. If they last longer than that, I find the best cure is to pull something really stinking good from the cellar.
Stangely, I find corked wines also seem to run in straks. Perhaps it is some sort of heightened sensitity at play or I could be imagining the whole thing.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!