The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Canavese Rosso, Ferrando

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: '05 Canavese Rosso, Ferrando

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 pm

This from the Valle d'Aosta producer Ferrando, famous for his Carema. According to the Neil Rosenthal website, this differs from the Carema in that it is not pure Nebbiolo but contains 30% Barbera.

The color is a bright, youthful mid-red, like young Chianti. Nose is very shy some mineral/graphite notes with maybe a touch of rose. The mineral theme continues on the palate, with a touch of ash, red cherries and tomato skin. Maybe a touch of glycerin richness, but not green in any way. Has modest length but quite harmonious overall, with more unity after being in the glass for an hour or so. Nice cool climate red. If I had to guess blind I might say a nervy cru Beaujolais. ($15, 12.5% abv)

Several months ago I also had the '05 Erbaluce di Caluso (white) from Ferrando, which was also strutting a lot of mineral structure. More green fruits, with a few floral touches. Not unlike good Muscadet, IMO.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: '05 Canavese Rosso, Ferrando

by Marc D » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the note on the Ferrando wines. Ever since trying the 99 Carema (white label) I have been a fan of Ferrando. I haven't tried the two you mentioned, but both sound very good, and I will keep my eye out for them. Is the Erbaluce a high acid style white?
Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: '05 Canavese Rosso, Ferrando

by Joe Moryl » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:19 am

Marc D wrote:Hi Joe,
Thanks for the note on the Ferrando wines. Ever since trying the 99 Carema (white label) I have been a fan of Ferrando. I haven't tried the two you mentioned, but both sound very good, and I will keep my eye out for them. Is the Erbaluce a high acid style white?
Best,
Marc

Yeah, the Erbaluce is quite a crisp wine. There are supposed to be some higher level bottlings and a rare spumante as well, but I have never seen them. If you like Ferrando you might have a look at Lawrence Osborne's The Accidental Connoisseur: there are a few pages where Neil Rosenthal and the author visit that estate.