The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Washington Bordeaux Varieties (very long)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Washington Bordeaux Varieties (very long)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:54 am

I attended a blind tasting of Washington state Bordeaux varieties/blends on Tuesday night.

While there were a couple of exceptions, I came away with the perception that Washington is moving more and more to the forward, candied end of the wine spectrum, but that the wines (at least the ones I tasted) don’t have the stuffing to pull off that style in the way that Aussie Shiraz or Central coast Pinot Noir does. In two cases I tasted wines that while ripe were also full of character and nuance, so it can be done.

We warmed up our palates (blind) with the
2004 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia Valley) $10
While not in my favorite style, this was a well made wine and clearly a great value. There’s plenty of ripe fruit, but much less of the candied character than some of the wines. Not a lot of complexity, but for $10 I would not expect it. (86 pts.)

The formal blind tasting then commenced with ten wines (!):

2004 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot (Columbia Valley) $10
More forward on the nose than the Cabernet, but heading more to the candied end of the spectrum, with less body to back it up. A fair bit of alcoholic burn on the finish took this one down the scale for me. (82 pts.)

2003 Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot (Columbia Valley) $18
Much more forthcoming on the nose than either of the first two wines, this had dark berry and some leather aromatics. Nice structure to keep it in balance and a long finish. I’ve liked this wine in the past and continue to like it (even if it is Merlot) Very good value at this price. (89 pts.)

2004 Janiuk Klipsun Vineyard Merlot (Red Mountain) $40
Who put the maraschino cherry juice in my wine? I found this to be a thin, candied, hot wine (much like but worse than the Columbia Crest Merlot) that had me baffled as to its origins. Was it basic Aussie Shiraz or really bizarre Central Coast Pinot? I had no idea this was from Washington, and pretty much hated it. (79 pts.) It should be noted that I was by far the outlier of the group on this wine, as most everyone else really liked it.

2004 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Merlot (Columbia Valley) $25
Much less candied on the nose, but there it is again on the palate. Again very hot on the finish, though not to the degree of the Janiuk. We actually had some food at this point, and it was better with food than without (the Janiuk did not improve with food). I was still not a fan, as the wine was much too candied for me. (81 pts.)

2003 Wineglass Cellars Merlot (Yakima Valley) $24
My wine of the night by a wide margin. Wonderful nose of black currant, leather, warm herbs, turned earth and a touch of spice that was much more complex than anything else we had all night. This actually reminded me of Bordeaux in a ripe style; great balance and fruit presence, and a very long finish. Fantastic wine, and at $24 it’s a steal if you can find it. I visited this property back in1999 and was impressed then. It’s good to see them still doing fine work. I might actually have to order the next time a mailer shows up. (94 pts.)

2005 Cadence ‘Bel Canto’ (Red Mountain) $55
Well here we are, back again in candy land. What a contrast to the great balance of the Wineglass Cellars (the wines were served in pairs after the warm up bottle). Simple red cherry fruit and a (mercifully) short, hot finish doomed this wine for me. I was back thinking cheap Aussie Shiraz with this wine. (80 pts.)

2001 Lolonis Cabernet Sauvignon ‘Winegrower Selection (Redwood Valley, CA) $31
Ringer #1 of the night, but it actually fit in fairly well. I found it drinkable, as it was not nearly as hot as some of the prior wines, but it was a straightforward, one-dimensional wine with nothing to really recommend it other than as a crowd-pleaser. But I would be much more likely to open 3 bottles of the Columbia Crest Cabernet for a crowd than 1 bottle of the Lolonis. (85 pts.)

2001 Cameraderie Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (Washington State) $45
This was a wine I really liked again. It had much more complexity on the nose, even if it was in a riper style than the Wineglass Cellars Merlot. There was good balance, earthy elements as well as fruit, and no alcoholic burn on the finish. We had some marinated steak at this point, and the wine just danced with it. Very, very good stuff (though for $21 fewer dollars I am definitely going with the Wineglass Cellars Merlot), and well worth drinking. (91 pts.)

2003 Wineglass Cellars “Rich Harvest” (Yakima Valley) $50
At the start of the night we were asked to identify two ringers. One was from a different area (the Lolonis), and one was different grapes (the next wine). I missed on both accounts, as I pegged the two Wineglass Cellars wines as my different wines. My reasoning was that I thought their Merlot was from Bordeaux, and I thought this wine had some Rhone grapes (the next one did) due to a somewhat bretty aromatic element on the nose. I was thinking Mourvedre from the moment I put my nose in the glass. In a way this wine made me think of ESJ Rocks and Gravel only tuned up to become a Parker baby (not a good thing). In any event, while I thought this was ok (not great) blind, it was certainly not characteristic of a Bordeaux blend. (84 pts.)

2005 Latitude 46N ‘The Power and the Glory’ (Columbia Valley) $28
Gosh I hate the name. Anyway the wine is good, especially as it didn’t have the problem of many of the wines (neither fish nor fowl), as it tasted like Aussie Shiraz, smelled like Aussie Shiraz, and had plenty of weight and richness to pull it off convincingly. No burn at all on the finish. Really quite tasty if you like the style (I don’t but can see why it appeals.). (90 pts.)

And that was the rest of the story. I’m going to revisit Wineglass Cellars (I still have a 1996 Cabernet in my cellar) to see how I feel about more of their wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: Washington Bordeaux Varieties (very long)

by Keith M » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Janiuk Klipsun Vineyard Merlot (Red Mountain) $40
Who put the maraschino cherry juice in my wine? I found this to be a thin, candied, hot wine (much like but worse than the Columbia Crest Merlot) that had me baffled as to its origins. Was it basic Aussie Shiraz or really bizarre Central Coast Pinot? I had no idea this was from Washington, and pretty much hated it. (79 pts.) It should be noted that I was by far the outlier of the group on this wine, as most everyone else really liked it.

2004 Novelty Hill Stillwater Creek Vineyard Merlot (Columbia Valley) $25
Much less candied on the nose, but there it is again on the palate. Again very hot on the finish, though not to the degree of the Janiuk. We actually had some food at this point, and it was better with food than without (the Janiuk did not improve with food). I was still not a fan, as the wine was much too candied for me. (81 pts.)

My impression from a recent visit to Janiuk and Novelty Hill was hot, hot, hot and not much content beneath the surface. The same winemaker makes both labels--one for himself and one for another owner that supposedly reflect different winemaking philosophies, whatever that means. The wines certainly did not compare well to other Washington reds I've had, so I am interested to learn that many of your fellow attendees really liked the Januik. Fascinating how much palates vary, and for the prices that Januik/Novelty Hill charges, I'm glad mine diverges here!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 am

Keith M wrote:My impression from a recent visit to Janiuk and Novelty Hill was hot, hot, hot and not much content beneath the surface. The same winemaker makes both labels--one for himself and one for another owner that supposedly reflect different winemaking philosophies, whatever that means.

For what it's worth, much of the group thought the two wines nearly identical. I don't see any difference in philosophy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow, lots to talk about here!

David M. Bueker wrote: I came away with the perception that Washington is moving more and more to the forward, candied end of the wine spectrum

And it starts right here. Now I haven't been drinking Washington wines all that long, but I've gathered impressions from those who have and some of that conflicts with your perception. I know that 15 or so years ago my wine mentor taught me to recognize Washington cabs by a green bell pepper or even jalapeno pepper note. Herbaceousness was also an issue, and wine lovers complained. From what I understand, the move toward the more forward end of the spectrum began as a way to counter those issues, and overt ripeness and big oak became popular. Now that there are 500 wineries in this state, up 500% from about ten years ago, plus more vineyards in more sites and older vineyards, it has been discovered that more classic profiles than either already mentioned are possible and many are steering in that direction. But it will be awhile before those find their way out of the state, so in a way our wines will suffer the Aussie export syndrome: the wines that leave the state will be the more fruitbombed styles because that's what sells. IOW, a different set of wines could have made an entirely different impression. I THINK.

Now, regarding the wines you tasted, no argument on the first three. The Januik, however, surprises me. Thin? Maraschino? That is SO not like any Januik I've ever tasted, be it their generic merlot, "red table wine" or higher end single vineyard cabernets. Mind you I haven't had any 2004's, but based on many samples I've always found these wines to be huge, all-black fruited and lavisly oaked. Love liquid blueberries and mocha frappucinos? Januik's your wine. Mind you, they're extremely well done for that style and there's usually a surprising amount of structure under all that velveteen, but that is the style. I'm going to have to go out and buy myself a bottle of this just so I can understand what in the heck you tasted.

Never had a Novelty Hill wine. But Wineglass Cellars? Unfortunately, my first experience with them was a bad one. It was at an industry tasting, and the owner/winemaker was pouring a back vintage of something, it was a late 90's vintage. Best as I 'member it was merlot, but I could be wrong. Anywho, it was somewhat oxidized--lots of stewed prunes in that bottle. Thinking he didn't realize he was pouring a bad bottle, I told him what I found. He took immediate umbrage and said rather nastily, "Well, that's just because you're not used to aged wine." (BULLPUCKY!) He turned away and overtly began another conversation with someone else. I was dismissed. I've never had another Wineglass nor am I willing to spend my pesos on their wine.

Cadence. I remember commenting abou the only Cadence I've had (a Taptiel cabernet, IIRC) that it was very Oz-like, just like yours. Big, a little ragged around the edges, with sweet and heavy fruit. That's not what I go for so I haven't ventured further, though I do have a bottle picked up in a local charity auction lot that I'll have to face some day.

Never had a Camaraderie, but I like your description. I'll seek this out, thanks. Great notes, btw, I haven't lived here very long but I feel very loyal to our wines already, and am always happy to see them get more attention.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Wow - I love a good conversaiton.

While my experience with Washington wines is not overwhelming, I have a good friend who is/was (becoming less so) a passionate advocate and collector of them. Until recently he had more Quilceda Creek than I had Donnhoff! Anyway he also had significant amounts of Andrew Will, Woodward Canyon, Betz and several others, so I've had a chance to taste pretty widly over the last 5 years or so. When he opened older wines (1994-2000or so) I was generally impressed. Once we hit the 2001 vintage (with some exceptions) I started to taste much more opulent fruit, oak and masked, but big tannins. These were some of the big guns, and they were not in any way thin. What they were (initially) was delicious wines that could accompany food. They became over the top monsters that blew everything else off the table. I was a buyer of a few, mostly for immediate drinking, and also tagged along on his Quilceda allocation for a few bottles here and there (which I stopped when I realized I couldn't stand drinking the 2003 or 2004).

Now the wines on Tuesday were not playing in that same weight class. I can certainly support a theory that the Janiuk was not correct. It was in no way a big, bruising fruti bomb. As for Wineglass, I visited there in 1999, and recall a few outstanding wines (one that I did buy), as well as some horrid atrocities against winemaking (though I found worse on that same trip...try a Washington Riesling aged in oak "like they do in Alsace" said the winemaker.). The merlot was really, really good, and there was general agreement around the table except for one guy (there's always a dissenter - it's usually me), and it ended up as the group's WOTN. Now if we look at the bretty element in the other Wineglass offering as poor winemaking (seems likely in a cab blend) then there's the same hit/miss issues for Wineglass that I remember.

I really want to like Washington wines. I enjoyed my visit there back in 1999, and would like to visit again some time (too bad I don't work with Boeing). I'm just not convinced by what I have been tasting lately.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:While my experience with Washington wines is not overwhelming, I have a good friend who is/was (becoming less so) a passionate advocate and collector of them. Until recently he had more Quilceda Creek than I had Donnhoff!

And that's saying something!

Anyway he also had significant amounts of Andrew Will, Woodward Canyon, Betz and several others, so I've had a chance to taste pretty widly over the last 5 years or so.

You've surely had more experience at the top end than I have, and probably in more useful settings too.

Once we hit the 2001 vintage (with some exceptions) I started to taste much more opulent fruit, oak and masked, but big tannins.

IOW, we're not immune to Parkerization here. I'll concede that point and note that with the QC getting back to back 100 pts for 02 and 03, this isn't going to change any time soon. But again I'll mention that with more new wineries opening every day come winemakers who look elsewhere for inspiration.

Re Wineglass, I certainly hear good things not unlike what you've said about the wines, and people who understand my palate presume I'm crazy about them. But hey, I'm too busy carrying my grudge to find out what I'm missing. :)

I really want to like Washington wines. I enjoyed my visit there back in 1999, and would like to visit again some time (too bad I don't work with Boeing). I'm just not convinced by what I have been tasting lately.

Well, there are wines here you'll like. The majority still swing the other way and always will, but there really are some bright spots on the horizon and most of them are very reasonably priced for their quality. The Boudreaux I mentioned being so impressed with--$39.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm sure there are plety of wines I will like. I bet there's many I will love. Heck, I liked the Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot to a decent degree, and for $18 what's not to like.

I really do need to get back out. The landscape has changed so much since I was last there. Are there any apple trees left in the Columbia Valley?

This sounds crazy, but maybe next year (I know it's only January 4th, but we're already planned out on 2008 vacations).