The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

We've upgraded! Important notices ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: We've upgraded! Important notices ...

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:32 pm

John Tomasso wrote:yes, thanks. It's very nice.

I have a question, not of an urgent nature. I am using the prosilver skin.
I don't seem to see anywhere to click on "read new posts" - that was a very useful function on the old s/w and maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Did it go away?

No--John, I use that feature all the time, too and it was one of the first things I looked for when we were beta testing this version and I'd have screamed bloody murder if it hadn't been included. It's now in your User Control Panel--click on Managed Subscriptions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm

thanks Jenise, Ive done that, but I'm not seeing it.
I thought that by subscribing it just enabled email notification.
I'm going to mess around with it some this evening - it's raining cats and dogs here so there's nothing else to do.
Hopefully, I'll figure it out.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm

alas, there it is.
merci.
I find that feature to be a real time saver. Glad we didn't lose it.
Last edited by John Tomasso on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Again, it is probably a good idea to keep the image size a lot less than 500mb for the dial-uppers.

This means I will have to do a LOT of work to shrink pictures! My camera is 10.2 megapixel, and since I always shoot at max resolution, in case I want to crop or play with the image, my file sizes are around 5-8 mb each. :shock: Oh well...
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:00 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:OK, everyone is talking about "new features". Perhaps we could go through them for those of us not computer savvy. Thanks

Is anyone gonna answer my question?
Also I need to know how I get back to the main forum after sending out a PM?

Thanks Bob P
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 am

Robin,

It should probably be obvious to me, but I can't figure out how to check my private messages.

Sam
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06 am

Sam Platt wrote:Robin,

It should probably be obvious to me, but I can't figure out how to check my private messages.

Sam

Me too, Sam. Also when I send a PM, there is a whole bunch of stuff/quotes. Before, to send a Pm, a new box opened up and one just typed the message in. This is different eh.

Bob P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

PM (Private Messaging), new features

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:43 am

Sam Platt wrote:Robin,

Sam

Sam and Bob,

I can help. Click on User Control Panel at your left above under Board Index. Then note you get a box with tabs across the top--about the third to the right is is Private Messages. Click there for the status of all your PMs.

Bob, about the rest of the features: it would be a laborious task to detail all the features since most of them are things we already use but just presented in a slightly different way, and member to member, different features are important. We can't begin to guess what each of you use--obviously, John Tomasso and I highly prized a particular feature that Robin, the board's High Priest, didn't even realize was there because he didn't use it. Point is, play around. If there's anything you want or used to use that you can't find, hollar. Otherwise, you should be able to dope things out easily enough. That's what the rest of us are doing (I didn't get a manual either!). Good luck,

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:52 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Also I need to know how I get back to the main forum after sending out a PM?

Thanks Bob P

Bob, forgot to address this question. After you've sent your PM, just click on Board Index in the upper left hand corner, then select whichever forum you wish to go to from there. Think of the forums as a bunch of trains: the Board Index is your central station.

Jenise
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks Jenise, I see that.
How does one go to newest post of a thread without having to scroll down from top of the page? Also what is this Font Colour I see here on the right.

Bob P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Post order, Font colour

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks Jenise, I see that.
How does one go to newest post of a thread without having to scroll down from top of the page? Also what is this Font Colour I see here on the right.

Bob P

Bob, in response to your first question, I'm not actually sure there's a way. I was thinking that you could set your own controls to have the posts read newest-to-oldest rather than the other way around (even on the old board), but darn if I can find it now. Btw, see the word 'FAQ' on the upper right of your screen under the Search bars? There's a lot of information there--it might introduce you to features you didn't know we had, even on the old board. Like Font Colour, since you ask. :) Always been an option. Click on it and choose from a rainbow of colors to highlight your post. Like this.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Post order, Font colour

by Neil Courtney » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:35 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks Jenise, I see that.

Bob P

Bob, in response to your first question, I'm not actually sure there's a way. I was thinking that you could set your own controls to have the posts read newest-to-oldest rather than the other way around (even on the old board), but darn if I can find it now. Btw, see the word 'FAQ' on the upper right of your screen under the Search bars? There's a lot of information there--it might introduce you to features you didn't know we had, even on the old board. Like Font Colour, since you ask. :) Always been an option. Click on it and choose from a rainbow of colors to highlight your post. Like this.

Jenise, there has been a discussion about going to the first new post in a thread elsewhere I think. It boils down to the default prosilver skin NOT having the little 'Go to the first new post' button. Change to eTech for instance and you do have this option. Very useful. I think Robin is looking into this.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Post order, Font colour

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Jenise, there has been a discussion about going to the first new post in a thread elsewhere I think. It boils down to the default prosilver skin NOT having the little 'Go to the first new post' button. Change to eTech for instance and you do have this option. Very useful. I think Robin is looking into this.

Ah, that's right. Thanks for reminding me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Keith M wrote:A small low-priority request, but would it be possible to redirect the link on the Wine Lover's Page logo on the upper left of the screen? Right now it sends one to the WLDG forum index (index.php)--it would be more intuitive if it sent one to the WineLoversPage front (http://www.wineloverspage.com/).

Done! Sorry about the slight delay ... it wasn't quite as simple as I thought it would be to find the place to fix it. :oops:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:02 pm

I like the changes, however, there are two things I've noticed.
I'm using Firefox. When I click on a link inside a thread, it opens the link in the same tab. It's not a Firefox thing, as prior to the change and when I visit other websites, it opens the link in a new tab.
No Chat Counter, but I can live with that. I do like the idea of an occasional impromptu chat session, but will have to work around it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Sam and Bob,

I can help.

Thanks Jenise!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:31 pm

I guess our little Chat Room Counter has gone by the wayside. Or am I missin' sumptin'? Wouldn't be the first time. Between the Elavil and the Prednisone I'm leading a strange life anyway.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Howie Hart wrote:When I click on a link inside a thread, it opens the link in the same tab. It's not a Firefox thing, as prior to the change and when I visit other websites, it opens the link in a new tab.
No Chat Counter, but I can live with that. I do like the idea of an occasional impromptu chat session, but will have to work around it.

I posted about this earlier, Howie. It is a "feature" of the new software and the only thing to be done about it is to RIGHT CLICK on all links then choose (in Firefox) Open Link in New Tab. I routinely do this everywhere anyway, so it was not a change for me, but it won't take you long to get used to it. I promise!

Chat counter is unable to be implemented in this software as well. A shame, but as many people hated as loved it anyway. I suggest if one wants to have an impromptu chat, just post a note in the F&F Forum saying you'll be there for x amount of time in case anyone wants to drop in for a chat.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Chat counter is unable to be implemented in this software as well. A shame, but as many people hated as loved it anyway. I suggest if one wants to have an impromptu chat, just post a note in the F&F Forum saying you'll be there for x amount of time in case anyone wants to drop in for a chat.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep talking to myself.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:14 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:When I click on a link inside a thread, it opens the link in the same tab. It's not a Firefox thing, as prior to the change and when I visit other websites, it opens the link in a new tab.

I posted about this earlier, Howie. It is a "feature" of the new software and the only thing to be done about it is to RIGHT CLICK on all links then choose (in Firefox) Open Link in New Tab. I routinely do this everywhere anyway, so it was not a change for me, but it won't take you long to get used to it. I promise!

Chat counter is unable to be implemented in this software as well. A shame, but as many people hated as loved it anyway. I suggest if one wants to have an impromptu chat, just post a note in the F&F Forum saying you'll be there for x amount of time in case anyone wants to drop in for a chat.

No need to right click etc. Just click the scroll wheel to get a new tab.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:33 am

Just click the scroll wheel to get a new tab. Neil, what is the scroll wheel??
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:44 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Just click the scroll wheel to get a new tab. Neil, what is the scroll wheel??

Do you use Windowze or a Mac? If a Mac, then you have one big mouse button. If not, then most mice (mouses?) there days have two buttons (left and right) and a little wheel between the two buttons the you can use to scroll a page in a browser, or MS Word etc, backwards and forwards. Not many people know it but you can generally click this wheel but pressing down on it like you do with the buttons. If you have an older mouse you may not have this scroll wheel. If you have a really fancy mouse you may have several more buttons down the sides that you can program to do all sorts of things.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Keith M wrote:A small low-priority request, but would it be possible to redirect the link on the Wine Lover's Page logo on the upper left of the screen? Right now it sends one to the WLDG forum index (index.php)--it would be more intuitive if it sent one to the WineLoversPage front (http://www.wineloverspage.com/).

Done! Sorry about the slight delay ... it wasn't quite as simple as I thought it would be to find the place to fix it.

Hmmm, I have the eTech skin on (which I believe was the same skin I was using when I made the original request) and the only change I see is that now there is no WineLoversPage logo . . . and again no obvious link to get to the WineLoversPage front. Again, low priority, but it would be a useful link eventually (and one I suspect would beneficial for you in directing folks to other parts of the site).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:33 am

Couple of questions, Robin.

1. on the previous system, I could read messages without logging in when I got an email that there was a new message on WLDG. Now I have to log in to read messages. Is that the way it's supposed to be, or is there an option on the User Control Panel that allows me to read messages without logging in?

2. I see only one Reply button on the default skin. My memory is that I could reply to specific Replies in a thread, rather than to the thread as a whole. I've assumed without knowing that doing so on the old system meant an email would be sent to the person whose Reply I was responding to. Is that different in the new version?

Neither of these are problems in any sense, I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks.
PreviousNext