The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Rainoldi Valtellina Superiore-Sassella

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 2001 Rainoldi Valtellina Superiore-Sassella

by Marc D » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

We've been holed up in our version of the Misty Mountains (Glacier, WA) the last week or so. All the rain in Bellingham was mostly snow up the valley, and there has been some great ski days. The mountain had about 140 inches of the white stuff over 10 days. No TV or computer, though. One thing we did have was some nice meals at Milanos, a small restaurant in Glacier. The owner's family is from Valtellina, and she makes a special effort to bring in the wines from there. The Rainoldi was a real winner.

2001 Rainoldi Valtellina Superiore- Sassella

100 % Nebbiolo. A translucent medium ruby color. A little tight at first, but with air the nose develops nicely. Classic dried rose petal and other floral notes, with tar underneath the higher toned aromas. Medium bodied, with no evidence of Barrique or over extraction that I could tell. Fine ripe grape tannins and high quality acids. The flavors become more complex and layered as it opens. A good match with a hearty sausage lasagna. This is young but drinkable now with a short decant. $40. 13% abv. Jeannie, the owner, mentioned that she thought Rainoldi made wines in the traditional way, but didn't expand on this further. I bought another bottle to drink in a few years. I think this wine would compare very favorably with a good Barolo or Barbaresco.

Best,
Marc