The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An exquisite still red from Champagne and a Burgundy.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: An exquisite still red from Champagne and a Burgundy.

by Tim York » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:53 am

Coteaux Champenois AOC - Ambonnay Rouge Cuvée des Grands Côtés 1995 – Grand Cru - Egly-Ouriet – Alc. 12%.

“Only sparkling wine is produced in Champagne” says Robert Parker (5th edition Wine Buyer’s Guide)!!! This statement is factually inaccurate and leads consumers to overlook superb products, like this one, as well as the better known Bouzy rouge which has been readily available in Paris for many decades, even centuries.

C: Quite light and transparent.
N: Wonderful freshness, finesse and elegance with typically pinot fruit showing notes sour cherry and plum.
P: Light bodied but superbly proportioned, elegantly sensual and long with silky mouth-feel, gently complex aromatics, roundness and “gras”. This wine was still as fresh as a previous bottle opened some 5 years ago and, though quite light, was assertive enough to be an excellent accompaniment to “magret de canard” topped with foie gras. A really lovely bottle; 17.5/20.

Beaune Marconnets – AOC Beaune 1er cru – 1990 – Albert Morot – Alc. 13%.

C : Medium depth of carmine.
N: Subdued at first but developing dark cherry notes.
P: Noticeably rounder and deeper than the previous with good fruit and mouth-fill and without the candied notes of some 90s but seeming pedestrian and lacking in elegance after the Ambonnay. Also, from memory, less ingratiating than Beaune Teurons 90 from the same stable. Nevertheless a solidly performing Burgundy; 16/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: An exquisite still red from Champagne and a Burgundy.

by JoePerry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks for the note, Tim. I hope this is a better bargain than the Bolly red. :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Tim York wrote:“Only sparkling wine is produced in Champagne” says Robert Parker (5th edition Wine Buyer’s Guide)!!! This statement is factually inaccurate and leads consumers to overlook superb products, like this one, as well as the better known Bouzy rouge which has been readily available in Paris for many decades, even centuries.

I didn't realize it existed until I brought home a bottle of what I thought was red bubbly. Because of my thwarted expectations it was a bit hard to regroup and have a positive experience, but it was definitely interesting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Tim - the first - and possibly the only time I had a bottle of Bouzy rouge, I definitely was expecting a red bubbly, perhaps because of the shape of the bottle and the champagne cork closure with a thick wire over the top holding it in place. We thought it had lost all its bubbles. It was some time later we found out it was meant to have no bubbles.
Jenise, my experience was more along your lines.
I haven't seen Bouzy rouge for years, but it would nice to have the opportunity to taste it again, knowing right from the outset it is 'still' and pinot noir.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Tim York wrote:
“Only sparkling wine is produced in Champagne” says Robert Parker (5th edition Wine Buyer’s Guide)!!! This statement is factually inaccurate and leads consumers to overlook superb products, like this one, as well as the better known Bouzy rouge which has been readily available in Paris for many decades, even centuries.

The availability is so sketchy anywhere other than within a 4 hour drive of Paris that it might as well not exist. It's not overlooked it's nearly nonexistent.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 pm

That is unbelievably arrogant, David! Bouzy rouge is a classic in its way. Incidentally, my bottles were bought in London, well over 4 hours drive from Paris!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: expectations -

Jenise/Sue

Of course, neither the pseudo-champagne closure nor factually erroneous reporting by the likes of Parker help people to understand what they are getting with a Coteaux Champenois. I suspect that Parker, like a lot of consumers, is unsympathetic to the point of overlooking (and perhaps denying the existence of) any lightly coloured and lightly bodied red, however elegant and aromatically distinguished it may be.

Good examples, like this Ambonnay, are very versatile gastronomically and, for example, can be excellent with fish. They are well worth seeking out in restaurants in Europe with some guidance from the sommelier, even if they do not make the trip across the oceans.

BTW Egly-Ouriet make a superb Blanc de Noirs Champagne from Pinot Noir VV at Ambonnay. The European price for this Champagne and the Coteaux Champenois is around 40 EUR plus retailer's mark-up.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Tim York wrote:That is unbelievably arrogant, David! Bouzy rouge is a classic in its way. Incidentally, my bottles were bought in London, well over 4 hours drive from Paris!

Tim,

No intended to be, but London or not the availability of the wine is so limited that its being overlooked is no crime at all.

Cream Sherry is a classic - there's no crime in overlooking that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:11 am

Tim York wrote:That is unbelievably arrogant, David! Bouzy rouge is a classic in its way. Incidentally, my bottles were bought in London, well over 4 hours drive from Paris!

And my bottle was bought in New Zealand. I don't think you can drive from Paris to New Zealand :!:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:39 am

Re : crime

David, there is a serious point here, I think.

The crime, or shall we say professional fault, lies in Parker’s statement “only sparkling wine is produced in Champagne”. At best, it is the product of extremely lax research and, at worst, of......arrogance. I can forgive him (just) for not liking the style of the wines but not for denying their existence.

It is a strange argument that wines should be brushed aside because of limited availability. That would disqualify many of the world’s finest, including the micro-cuvées of German riesling which you so rightly champion.

As for the analogy with cream sherry, I think that this is poor one. The Parisian gourmets and their disciples in the 19th and 20th centuries who made the reputation of Bouzy rouge deserve respect from their modern equivalents for their gastronomic opinions, unlike the Victorian aunts who developed that cliché, cream sherry.

A better analogy is the wines of Edmunds St. John which gave rise to such passionate defence against a Parkerian attack in these columns and in “the other place”. As far as I can discover ESJ wines are not available in continental Europe and are even difficult to find in parts of the USA. This does not prevent me from taking an interest in the debate, in being keen to try them and in making an effort to seek them out (I think that there may be a source in the UK). I would expect the same attitude from serious wine lovers towards Coteaux Champenois rouge, which after all has a much longer track record than ESJ, when the opportunity arises, perhaps in London or Paris; these are far from being the least visited cities in the world by tourists and business people!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:27 am

Tim York wrote:“Only sparkling wine is produced in Champagne” says Robert Parker (5th edition Wine Buyer’s Guide)!!! This statement is factually inaccurate...

I'll be darned! I would have bet my pay check that Champagne only made sparkling wines. Thanks for the info.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 am

Sam Platt wrote:I'll be darned! I would have bet my pay check that Champagne only made sparkling wines. Thanks for the info.

What is true is that only the sparkling wines from the region are entitled to the designation AOC Champagne. The still wines are called Coteaux Champenois. Perhaps this is what Parker meant, but said with rather sloppy prose.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:39 am

Sam Platt wrote: I'll be darned! I would have bet my pay check that Champagne only made sparkling wines. .

You'd have lost anyway. All Champage wine is made as still wine first
:lol:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I probably should extend my Champagne knowledge beyond "it fizzes and tastes good". Over the years I've not paid much attention to Champagne because I have largely regarded it as a warm up beverage for the serious wines to come.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins