The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: What's your price limit for value wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: What's your price limit for value wine?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 am

As we feature affordable and value wines this month, we're curious what price level wine enthusiasts consider the limit for "value" wines. Where do you draw the line when you're looking for something affordable for everyday drinking? Pick your choice in dollars or, if you're elsewhere around the world, estimate the dollar equivalent for your local price.
Click to vote!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: What's your price limit for value wine?

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:31 am

Somthing affordable for everyday drinking?

It's an interesting question, as I almost never get through a bottle in less than 2 days anyway, so the every day price is cut in half. I would love to stay at the $15 dollar mark, but so many wines that I love have gone past it (e.g. German Riesling kabinett, most Chenin, basic Bourgogne, basic Bordeaux) that I have shifted to a floating range between $20 and $30. This keeps my daily price between $10 and $15.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Somthing affordable for everyday drinking?

It's an interesting question, as I almost never get through a bottle in less than 2 days anyway, so the every day price is cut in half. I would love to stay at the $15 dollar mark, but so many wines that I love have gone past it (e.g. German Riesling kabinett, most Chenin, basic Bourgogne, basic Bordeaux) that I have shifted to a floating range between $20 and $30. This keeps my daily price between $10 and $15.

Same here. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:36 pm

My definition of good value in an everyday wine has increased over the last several years and now has a ceiling of $15 (Canadian). To be a true value or QPR, it has to be much less than that and, of course, offer something interesting in the bottle.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:53 pm

$20 is the new $10, after all. :cry:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As we feature affordable and value wines this month, we're curious what price level wine enthusiasts consider the limit for "value" wines. Where do you draw the line when you're looking for something affordable for everyday drinking? Pick your choice in dollars or, if you're elsewhere around the world, estimate the dollar equivalent for your local price.
Click to vote!

Any change from a NZ$20 note is good. You can buy some really super wines for under $18 and the occasional gem pops up for under $15. Best bargains are end of lines. We have some retailers here who are very good at snapping up palate loads of 'end of line' deals, but once the wine is sold, that's it - there is usually no more.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:12 pm

$20 is about the limit that I spend for an everyday wine. However, because I live alone I don't drink wine everyday, and when I do, as David says, one bottle lasts for more than a day.

I rationalize this expenditure quite handily by saying to myself that I'm saving a ton of money over what food and wine would cost if I were dining out. 8)
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Lizbeth S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 pm

LOL, Cynthia--you rationalize the same way I do!

I try to stay around $15, but with rising prices and the exorbitant taxes in PA, it's getting harder and harder...
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:44 am

I agree with many of the posts here. I'm still hanging onto the notion that daily value drinkers should be around a $10 spot. but that is increasingly impossible so I find that I've changed my habits to only really buy when things are on sale (.i.e. the monthly 6 bottles for 20% discount gig). Then I pick up some $12-15 wines for around $10-12. In fact, I find that I purchase much fewer value wines and generally just go for the good stuff..generally things $40 and up. I'll nurse these over a few days and not feel as bad about the price.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:41 am

Mark Lipton wrote:$20 is the new $10, after all. :cry:

Mark Lipton

Certainly is if you're an American shopping for wine in the UK..

Damned exchange rates!
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 am

$15, but I see that ceiling rising upto $20 lately. I am not complaining yet. I think that the falling dollar and fad-driven market greed is conspiring against us. We cannot much the affect the rate of currency,but we sure can confuse the marketers. :wink: I suggest that we give code names to wines so that we befuddle anyone else who reads these posts. For instance, Rieslings should be referred to as White Zinfandel. So, when we read the WTN for Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr White Zinfandel Spätlese 2001, we know what the taster actually tasted. :P . It will keep their grubby hands off our food.