The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gambal Volnay 1er

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Gambal Volnay 1er

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 am

My turn to do dinner last night. I did duck breast over frisee, with green beans (using duck fat) and leftover soba and couscous. I opened the 1996 Alex Gambal Volnay 1er Cru * with tempered expectations. I had gotten 3 of these cheap, first corked, the second best described as pedestrian. This was quite the surprise, a very nice mature Burgundy. Rich black cherry fruit with a little red currant, earth, mushrooms, and a hint of black tea. Nice texture. It isn't a worldbeater in concentration or finish, but a nice Sunday night wine. I'm quite pleased. Not sure if my experience with previous bottle was worse due to time, bottle variation, or the limits of my tasting ability. B+

* this is a generic 1er, apparently mixture of vineyards

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Gambal Volnay 1er

by JC (NC) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 am

Glad you had a good experience with this bottle. I liked the Alex Gambal Volnay Les Santenots I had recently (different vintage.)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Not sure if my experience with previous bottle was worse due to time, bottle variation, or the limits of my tasting ability.

Why that's mighty humble of you.

Out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you tasted the previous bottle that seemed pedestrian? (Just wondering how much time passed to potentially lead to such a positive evolution)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Why that's mighty humble of you.

Not so much humble as realistic. I decided a while ago that my physical gifts as far as tasting are at best middling, I try to take up the slack with practice!

Out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you tasted the previous bottle that seemed pedestrian? (Just wondering how much time passed to potentially lead to such a positive evolution)

Just went and found the notes, Jan 2004. Apparently I liked a bit better than I remembered, but in any case maybe it was just closed then.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Just went and found the notes, Jan 2004..

Yes, things can change in a few years.