The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Cheese and crackers:
1999 Juge, Cornas Cuvée SC:
Should anyone wish to know why syrah is my favorite grape, they need only consult exhibit “SC;” initially this has some char on the nose and some green but, as it opens, these elements fade into the warm red fruit compote, cured meat, olive and milk chocolate aspects of this wine to become merely an accent; smooth and supple in the mouth with a linen texture, flavors that follow the nose and develop into nuances, superb balance and a hint of grip; long, flavor-filled and integrated finish. Sublime; a sip of pleasing relief from a difficult day. 13% alcohol, imported by New France Wine Co. and about $40 a couple of months ago; I bought what I could and wish I’d bought everything they had.

Grilled chicken, stuffing and porcini gravy:
2005 Catherine & Pierre Breton, Chinon Beaumont:
A remarkably concentrated wine with rich berry smells accented with mint and earth; very deep and extracted but perfectly balanced with a lightening bolt of acidity etching all the flavors, almost grainy in texture yet still round in the mouth; and incredibly long. Another magnificent Chinon for 2005 and one that will reward cellaring. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $19; worth multiples of that.

Cheese and crackers:
2005 Steele, Pinot Blanc:
Clean, pleasant aromas of white fruit and butter; light-weight, soft, a little thin in the mouth and a bit short. Innocuous wine that should be drunk immediately. 13.5% alcohol and about $14; not for half that.

Potato and fennel gratin with grilled sausages:
2002 Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vieilles Vignes:
This has opened a good deal since release with lots of black fruit and berry smells and tastes, a solid earthy streak underlying and the texture of satin. A really good wine that is structured, balanced, just coming into its own and excellent with the meal. 13% alcohol, imported by Becky Wasserman and about $20; I bought a lot.

Chili and corn bread:
2002 Jacky Janodet, Moulin-à-Vent:
More reserved and polished than the Michaud but more approachable as well with solid fruit and earth tones, good integration and an impression of completeness. Pretty wine that was good with and without the food. 13% alcohol, imported by the Henry Wine Group and about $13 on release; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Recent tastes

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for notes. I really liked the '99 Cuvee C, but sounds like the SC is a step up.
Not sure Beaujolais would have been first thing that came to mind for chili for me.
I thought I did well by covering all the Breton Bourgeuils, now you tell me I shoulda tracked down Chinons, too. Sigh.
best,
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2005 Catherine & Pierre Breton, Chinon Beaumont:
... about $19; worth multiples of that.

Hyperbole I hope.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:

Hyperbole I hope.

David,
Although I am certainly not above exaggeration, in this case, I didn't.
I think this bottling and the 2005 Baudry, Croix Boissee may be the finest cabernet franc based wines I have tasted . . . ever. And this bottle costs a lot less than Baudry.

Dale,
I have both the C and SC for Juge in '99; both are exceptional, IMO, and are such feminine renditions of the grape and AOC I am always amazed. Just terrific wines.
As to chili; when a dish has a little heat in it, I often go to more fruit forward wines or wines with RS in order to off-set the burn. In this case, it worked just fine.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:

Hyperbole I hope.

David,
Although I am certainly not above exaggeration, in this case, I didn't.
I think this bottling and the 2005 Baudry, Croix Boissee may be the finest cabernet franc based wines I have tasted . . . ever. And this bottle costs a lot less than Baudry.

Useful informaiton - thanks.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks for these notes, Jim. I have only just now discovered Cru Beaujolais (I bought my first Fleurie last night) and am really enjoying many of these wines! I'll look for these, too.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Thanks for these notes, Jim. I have only just now discovered Cru Beaujolais (I bought my first Fleurie last night) and am really enjoying many of these wines! I'll look for these, too.

Brian,
You are a wine guru and just discovered Cru Beaujolais! My god man, what have you drank with roast chicken in the past? :D You and Jim are on opposite ends of the Beaujolais scale and I am somwhere in the middle. The main missinformation about good Beaujolais is that it does not age. Good stuff needs 5 years at least.
Walt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Can't explain it, Walt. I'm not much of a Wine Guru, anyway, as I've only been dangerously into it for about three years or so. :oops:

I'm tempted to go back and buy more of the Chateau Thivin 2006 and drink it slowly over the next few years. Even if it was infanticide, I loved that wine! Almost WOTHB for me (Wine of the (Two Week) Holiday Bachanal).
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach