The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Colio Estate Wines Marechal Foch (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2004 Colio Estate Wines Marechal Foch (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 pm

One of my all-time favourite Ontario Fochs, now sold exclusively through Colio's retail boutiques.

This Foch, crafted by master winemaker Carlo Negri, hails from the Lake Erie North Shore appellation. 12.5% alc./vol. Opened two days earlier and given time to integrate, the Foch shows excellent cohesion and harmony. Deep garnet core with a weathered-sumac hue. Classic Foch funk on the nose framed by pleasant pencil-shavings oak from 4 months of barrel ageing. Gamey and earthy with secondary blackberry fruit on the nose. Healthy acidity on the entry; tart yet completely balanced with a dry, warming mid-palate but no heat per se - just a gentle warmth that leads to a pleasant replay of earthy funk and more pencil-shavings-type oak, which is quite prominent on the finish. Very clean and crisp, it's a medium-bodied red that's as fit as it ever was for the table.

This wine, now bottled as "Colio Estate" Marechal Foch, used to be bottled years ago under the "Harrow Estates" moniker; my many notes on previous vintages can be found on the old WLDG. Always a great deal, this wine is one of my all-time favourite pizza 'n ribs reds, and is an excellent entry-level introduction to the Marechal Foch variety. $7.90 CDN.

For Foch Fans, here is the winery's data sheet on the 2004 vintage.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Colio Estate Wines Marechal Foch (Ontario VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:28 am

Great notes on one of my fave grape varieties, pity my friends do not understand my passion!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2004 Colio Estate Wines Marechal Foch (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great notes on one of my fave grape varieties, pity my friends do not understand my passion!

Bob, I know I can always count on your input!

You know, this is truly one of the best made Fochs in Ontario for a long time. I really admire and respect Carlo Negri for his deft hand in crafting this wine each year. The wine is never dense or inky, but for all its medium extraction, it maintains a beautiful balancing act between Foch's innate wildness and an elegant, oak-accented dryness and palate-cleansing character that makes it truly fit for the table. And the price - you just can't go wrong with quality at this level for a mere $7.90!

BTW - do Colio wines make it out your way, Bob?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca