The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

On Drinking Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lon Binder

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:53 am

On Drinking Wine

by Lon Binder » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post here...

After hearing many people complain about the pretension and difficulty related to ordering, buying, and drinking wine, I decided to psot a blog entry with my thoughts about the crazy myths and hot tips related to wine. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable, although not an expert. Perhaps you could all weigh in (here or on the blog) with commentary about what you agree or disagree with from the blog. And send me some ideas for other myths or tips you recommend for novice wine drinkers?

http://www.foodmayhem.com/2008/01/on-drinking-wine.php

Thanks!

- Lon, http://www.foodmayhem.com
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: On Drinking Wine

by Hoke » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Lon:

I am in something of a quandary here.

My first impulse is to welcome you as a brand new poster.

My second is to tell you that I think you are, at best, rude, at worst, insensitive.

If your purpose is to converse (discuss, as in "Wine Lover's Discussion Group"), then wouldn't it have been more appropriate for you to post your ruminations here and let us respond (there's the 'discussion' part again)? Instead, you are using this board to direct people to your own space, apparently for your own aggrandizement.

Here's the way it should work: You say something about wine. Here. Someone says something back to you. Here. If you wish, you respond.

I don't feel any need to go to your blog. I'd be happy to discuss anything you want right here, though.

So: what was it you wished to talk about?
no avatar
User

Stuart Malan

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm

by Stuart Malan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Lon, not sure what the fuss is; I agree with your sentiments and as someone who has a novices interest in wine, I thought your ideas expressed on your link were pertinent, modest and accurate! Is there some sort of online etiquette we should be observing, because, I am obviously missing something here!! Keep posting mate!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 pm

It's just that to wade on over here & say "read my blog & say what you think" is not such great form.

Now if Lon were to post a summary here that would be very cool.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It's just that to wade on over here & say "read my blog & say what you think" is not such great form.
Now if Lon were to post a summary here that would be very cool.

Agreed. I come here to read, learn, and discuss. If one wishes to promote their blog, make pertinent comments here and post your blog address as a sig- if your comments are interesting enough, I'm sure some will follow the link. Quite a few years on the wine and other boards has made me tired of the "I'm going to offer nothing here, you have to visit my site to see what I say" post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Stuart Malan wrote:Lon, not sure what the fuss is; I agree with your sentiments and as someone who has a novices interest in wine, I thought your ideas expressed on your link were pertinent, modest and accurate! Is there some sort of online etiquette we should be observing, because, I am obviously missing something here!! Keep posting mate!

Stuart, note that Lon's post was his first and only. Etiquette wise, it's a little like going to someone else's party and telling everybody there's a better party somewhere else. Since Lon hasn't returned and since we know that he put this identical post on several other wine websites, Hoke's presumption that Lon's post was just blog bait appears to be correct. Otherwise, we'd be happy to discuss what Lon wants to discuss--HERE.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lon Binder

Rank

Just got here

by Lon Binder » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Stuart Malan wrote:Lon, not sure what the fuss is; I agree with your sentiments and as someone who has a novices interest in wine, I thought your ideas expressed on your link were pertinent, modest and accurate! Is there some sort of online etiquette we should be observing, because, I am obviously missing something here!! Keep posting mate!

Thanks Stuart. I am not sure why people get in such a hub-bub. I write a blog and often do research to get people's insight. Seems like the point of the internet is to link to content, rather than copy and paste it all over the place. Oh well. Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Lon Binder wrote:Thanks Stuart. I am not sure why people get in such a hub-bub. I write a blog and often do research to get people's insight. Seems like the point of the internet is to link to content, rather than copy and paste it all over the place. Oh well. Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback!

Lon, just as a reminder, when we had our Email exchange about your user name, I mentioned to you *before* you posted that I thought you'd get much better results if you summarized your question here rather than inviting our folks to go offsite to read it. I assumed you'd take my gentle advice as guidance, and I certainly didn't put anyone here up to their responses. But while I wouldn't want to say I told you so, I did give you a pretty broad hint.

Blogs are a relatively new Web phenomenon. Forums like this one and online publications like WineLoversPage.com have been around quite a bit longer. Apparently the blog concept is just different enough that you're running into a bit of a cultural wall. Sort of like traveling to a foreign country for the first time. You can wear plaid Bermudas and a Hawaiian shirt and talk loud English if you want to, but it won't get you much mileage on the Champs-Elysées.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:You can wear plaid Bermudas and a Hawaiian shirt and talk loud English if you want to, but it won't get you much mileage on the Champs-Elysées.

Whaaaat!!! No wonder the drivers were honking at me! :wink: :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:56 am

Lon Binder wrote: Seems like the point of the internet is to link to content, rather than copy and paste it all over the place.

But perhaps not with only a link. As Robin said, a short summary might be more enticing.

I personally hate clicking all over the place. If you want me to discuss a question here then put it here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Stuart Malan

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm

by Stuart Malan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks gents! I now understand the complexities and idiosyncracies of online forum,blogs, form etc. Now back to the business of wine...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:17 pm

Lon Binder wrote:

Thanks Stuart. I am not sure why people get in such a hub-bub. I write a blog and often do research to get people's insight. Seems like the point of the internet is to link to content, rather than copy and paste it all over the place. Oh well. Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback!

A 'hub-bub'? Good lord, I hope you're a better blogger than that, Lon.

I wasn't in a hub-bub, whatever that is. I was simply trying to give you a simple lesson....perhaps you might call it insight...into civility and polite behavior. This is a discussion group/forum. Look way up at the top at the title. That might give you a hint of what's supposed to happen here. Coming in here with your first post simply to invite people to go somewhere else---not to discuss, but to read what you blogged---is downright rude. I'm sorry you can't see that without prodding.

A blog isn't a new phenomenon, not really. It's just current technology making it easy for people who think they have something important or meaningful or interesting to say to blather on in splendid egotistic isolation. It makes people who think they are writers/commentators feel somehow legitimate or "published". Even if that publishing is in the ephemera. Well, if it feeds your ego, fine, I'm all for that, Lon. But you, on the other hand, should realize that you're being outright rude to the host here (even if he's being far more polite and generous about it than I could ever be). And you're being rude to us.

Plain fact, Lon, hard as it is for you to realize: it's not about you. Sorry. It really isn't. This is a place for discussion, not ego ranting. If you have something to say...here....go right ahead and say it....here. I'd be more than happy to read whatever you write. Always assuming it's interesting and provides any insight. Unfortunately, based on what I've seen so far, I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

Still and all, the ball is in your court. We're waiting. But you have to come here; I have no reason to go somewhere else.
no avatar
User

Lon Binder

Rank

Just got here

by Lon Binder » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Hoke wrote:A 'hub-bub'? Good lord, I hope you're a better blogger than that, Lon.

I wasn't in a hub-bub, whatever that is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hubbub

I reserve debate for those familiar with English and with hyper-linking... the basic structure of the Internet, and moreso, those who are not (for whatever reason) so diametrically opposed to blogging.

- Lon

p.s. Robin, I apologize for causing Hoke to be upset.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Lon Binder wrote:
Hoke wrote:A 'hub-bub'? Good lord, I hope you're a better blogger than that, Lon.

I wasn't in a hub-bub, whatever that is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hubbub

I reserve debate for those familiar with English and with hyper-linking... the basic structure of the Internet, and moreso, those who are not (for whatever reason) so diametrically opposed to blogging.

- Lon

p.s. Robin, I apologize for causing Hoke to be upset.

Well, snark, snark.

You just don't get it, do you, Lon? On so many levels, you just don't get it.

You have failed to bring anything whatsoever of substance to this place of discussion. The one and only thing you have done is insult everyone in this place by asking us to go to another place. You do not think us worth commenting here, only in your own little ego space.

I can assure you, I am quite familiar with English, with hyper-linking and with the Internet. I'm also familiar with people who can't maintain a two-way conversation. You have apparently as yet to discern the difference between monologue and dialogue. You have at least proven you can access a dictionary site. How nice for you.

I suggest you go back to your own place and reserve debate for the only person you feel comfortable with: yourself. SInce you have done nothing but waste our time here.

Unless, of course, it turns out that you actually have something to say. Which I have not seen evidence of as yet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, snark, snark.

Are you guys going to get a room or what?

Seriously, this is getting to be the kind of thread that used to go waaaaay over to the right-hand side on the ancient forum. Will one of you please just agree to let the other guy have the last word and put this poor discussion right out of its misery?

Thank you very much ...
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Robin,
I take this opportunity to apologize to be so mute.
Why do I do it in this discussion ? Because I have a blog, and I consider that my blog has its own life.
I did not mention it in previous discussions because I consider that if I come to talk on this forum, it is to exchange ideas.
On a blog, I write what I want, with no will to discuss. My blog is not opened to discussion even if messages can be sent. It is not a forum.

Concerning this discussion I think that the newcomer should have presented himself and should have given some personal ideas about wine. Then a discussion would have occured. This is why forums exist.

Now my apologies.
I have had extremely exciting adventures, and I report on them in French. I have not had enough time to translate them in English.
I will come back soon with some reports. And I hope that sometimes they will get comments.
Just for fun I give you some figures : I have computed what I have drunk in 2007, and the total is nearly 1000 wines that I have shared with people, and I have seen that these wines were from 100 different years.

My personal opinion is that it would be nice that Lon presents himself and creates a discussion about what he loves or dislikes in wine.

Best wishes to all.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Just for fun I give you some figures : I have computed what I have drunk in 2007, and the total is nearly 1000 wines that I have shared with people, and I have seen that these wines were from 100 different years.

Francois,

Just for the sake of comparison last year I drank 47 different wines from 17 different years. The average age of the wines that I drank was 3.2 years for whites and 5.7 years for reds. Looks like I've got some catching up to do.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:45 pm

François Audouze wrote:Concerning this discussion I think that the newcomer should have presented himself and should have given some personal ideas about wine. Then a discussion would have occured. This is why forums exist.

Well said. Bravo!
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Welcome, Lon. I do hope you stick around to discuss wine. I don't post nearly as often as I should, but I find there is much to learn here.

From my discussions with Hoke, I find him to be very friendly. However, he can be prickly when someone disrespects forum customs. About that:
Lon Binder wrote:I reserve debate for those familiar with English and with hyper-linking...

There is no debate here. Jenise's analogy is very astute. It can be overlooked that your first post broke etiquette in this forum. You are new here and might not have been aware of the conventions of WLDG. A gentleman would admit his transgression, beg the host's forgiveness, then either follow etiquette or move on. Instead, you have chosen to disrespect the host and his guests by continuing to argue.

While I do follow some wine blogs, I visit WLDG to discuss wine here. Please be a gentleman and do the same. If you want to argue, then let it be about wine.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:12 pm

I love this thread. Nothing like a little beating up on the newbies. I fondly remember my own initiation. I broke some etiquette rule and one senior member took me to the woodshed. I am still here. The original post was a breach in etiquette. Hoke tried to straighten him out. His response was less than contrite. I wish the poster would see the error of his ways and stay with us. In the meantime...... :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:09 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I love this thread. Nothing like a little beating up on the newbies. I fondly remember my own initiation. I broke some etiquette rule and one senior member took me to the woodshed. I am still here. The original post was a breach in etiquette. Hoke tried to straighten him out. His response was less than contrite. I wish the poster would see the error of his ways and stay with us. In the meantime...... :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:

Hey, you make it sound like this board has it in for newbies! Not at all, in fact, we are particularly welcoming to people who want to join in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov