The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Saint Gregory Pinot Meunier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

WTN: 2003 Saint Gregory Pinot Meunier

by Shaji M » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 am

From the Graziano Family Vineyards in Mendocino, this bottle was lurking in my cellar. Knowing that this varietal is not meant to withstand time, I opened it never the less last night. Light bodied with floral and cherry aromas. The nose could have mistaken it for a Pinot Noir. The wine had a pleasant zing to it that went well with dinner. Strawberries and a faint yeastiness could be detected. Nice finish as the yeastiness lingered. We definitely liked it. My understanding is that this is a grape that could be used in the blend for Champagne. So, I asked my wife whether she thought she could detect anything Champagny (thats a word, right?) about it. She disagreed, but I felt convinced that I tasted some Champagnes/Sparkling wines which shared that zip and yeastiness. We left it at that and went back to enjoying the wine. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Saint Gregory Pinot Meunier

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:18 pm

A local friend is a big fan of this wine and so I've had a number of bottles from several vintages. It's been good as all of them, and a nice value. I'll have to let Jim know about your "aging program".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov