The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rhone and John Livingstone-Learmonth

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

Rhone and John Livingstone-Learmonth

by BMcKenney » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Curious whether someone has read any of his books. Either the Rhone or the N. Rhone book. And whether the books are worth getting.

Also curious if anyone subscribes to his website, drinkrhone.com. I'm tempted but I'd like to know if the content of the site is worth the price.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Rhone and John Livingstone-Learmonth

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:14 am

BMcKenney wrote:Curious whether someone has read any of his books. Either the Rhone or the N. Rhone book. And whether the books are worth getting.

Also curious if anyone subscribes to his website, drinkrhone.com. I'm tempted but I'd like to know if the content of the site is worth the price.

Bryan

I own three editions of his book, all of which are treasure troves of information and possibly the best books in the English language on that region. The most recent edition covers only the N. Rhone Valley, but the depth of information on each region and producers is staggering. I don't know about the website, but I'd suspect that it's got a lot of good information, too.

Mark Lpton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:43 am

The website was down last time I checked for maintenance etc. I heard on the UK forum that one will shortly have to subscribe ($$$) in order to access!
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:22 am

The Northern Rhone book is definitely worth it.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:09 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
BMcKenney wrote:Curious whether someone has read any of his books. Either the Rhone or the N. Rhone book. And whether the books are worth getting.

Bryan

I own three editions of his book, all of which are treasure troves of information and possibly the best books in the English language on that region. The most recent edition covers only the N. Rhone Valley, but the depth of information on each region and producers is staggering. I don't know about the website, but I'd suspect that it's got a lot of good information, too.

Mark Lpton

Also better than any book I know of in French. I am sure that his website is comprehensive and full of fascinating insights but I find the £ 40 (close to $ 80) price tag deeply discouraging, even in sliding sterling.
Tim York
no avatar
User

SFJoe

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

by SFJoe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:30 pm

The book is the best. No contest.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:56 am

Hi,

I bought the paperback ( Faber & Faber) edition of this book in about 1980 and bought a number of wines as a result from the 1982 vintage. I was very pleased with the advice.

I don't know how well updated it is, but it turned me on to many good wines.

As for paying 40 pounds/euros/dollars/whatever, you won't find me doing that.

This raises the whole issue of wine journalism/criticism in print form and Internet form.

I, for one, am OK with buying magazines, but somehow do not feel like shelling out for consulting a website.

Color me old-fashioned,
Yours sincerely,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:58 pm

AlexR wrote:I, for one, am OK with buying magazines, but somehow do not feel like shelling out for consulting a website..

I agree, I don't need to pay for such websites. But then again, my buying habits don't require specialized information.

And for you it might be easier because you're in Bordeaux, where all you need to know for purchase is the price/classification :D