The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Two Hands Lily's Garden Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 Two Hands Lily's Garden Shiraz

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm

2005 Two Hands Lily's Garden Shiraz, Mclaren Vale

A wine that made it almost impossible not to just sit there and keep saying "ummmmm" over and over again. It was so well integrated that no one element stuck out, but all of the elements seemed keenly obvious. Rich plum and berry, but not a hint of jam. Some nice chocolate came to the front, but didn't crowd out the fruit in any way. There was no tartness and the tannins were soft and integrated. Some pepper. Not at all intrusive, but absolutely critical to the overall enjoyment. The velvety mouth feel contributed a great deal to the "umm" effect as did the two minute plus finish. I have never thought of a Shiraz as "elegant" before, but this Shiraz could be the poster child for elegance. Not only the best Shiraz, but one of the best red wines I have ever had. This was the wine of the night for everyone including one avowed red wine hater.

Decanted about two hours before drinking. The nose opened up in a huge way, giving up earth, berry, and a rich vanilla over time.

I can't imagine that this wine could possibly improve with age. Definitely buying more, if we can find it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2005 Two Hands Lily's Garden Shiraz

by JC (NC) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Nice notes. I don't think I've had this Shiraz but will have to watch for it.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2005 Two Hands Lily's Garden Shiraz

by Sam Platt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:37 am

It's definitely worth seeking out, JC. The clerk at the wine shop recommended it to us. At $52 it was above my normal price point for Shiraz, or any wine for that matter. It turned out to be $52 well spent.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins