The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Chablis, Muscadet, oysters, and assorted reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN:Chablis, Muscadet, oysters, and assorted reds

by Marc D » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:43 pm

At a recent dinner in Seattle we tried some fresh oysters with some very good Muscadet and Chablis. I have always thought Muscadet was the best with raw oysters, but on this night the Chablis might have been the better match. I didn't take formal notes, just some impressions.

2005 Domaine Vrignaud Chablis Fourchame First time for me trying this producer. I think Bruce mentioned this was a Rimmerman special. Good body and concentration without being heavy, and some typical Chablis flavors. Very pleasant way to start.

1988 Pépière Clos de Briords The 1988 was popped and poured and really could have used a couple hours decant, as it started a little dull. With air it actually gained freshness. I thought it turned into a very good bottle, mature with a little creaminess to the body, and still plenty of briny flavor. I noticed something along the lines of an earthy Riesling petrol note as this opened.

2005 Pépière Granite de Clisson The Granite de Clisson was decanted for about 6 hours, but was still pretty tight. The nose was subtle and nuanced with a little floral hint mixed in with the minerals and citrus and stones. I would have liked to try a glass of this the next day. The wine seems concentrated but in need of some time to open up.

2006 Pépière Clos de Briords The 2006 Briords was a good contrast to the Granite de Clisson. It seemed open and exuberant, ripe stuff with citrus and even melon flavors. A very friendly Briords at this young stage in its life.

Three Chablis were next.
1998 Louis Michel Montmains The '98 Michel was energetic and taut with green acidity. It really improved with air and seemed like a young wine to me. Very good with a lot of life left.

1996 JM Brocard Montmains I liked this a lot, as it had a complex nose with a little smoke, broth, apple and citrus, and some stony minerals. Very good acidity, and this also seems to have lots of life left.

1995 Dauvissat La Forest The '95 Dauvissat was my favorite, and probably the best white of the evening. It had a perfect balance of stones, honey, flint, and fruit. Good concentration and length. The acidity didn't stick out in this wine as much as the other two, but the structure was still present. A real beauty and a killer match with the oysters. This was softer and more mature than the previous 2 Chablis, and maybe at a peak.

Next we had a really great herb crusted leg of lamb, potato gratin, and green salad with some red wines, mostly Loire Cab Franc.

1998 Joguet Clos du Chene Vert The '98 Joguet is drinking really well, with some briary red fruit, leather and tobacco. Soft, almost resolved tannins and some mature flavors made this a delightful drink.

2001 JM Raffault Chinon Picasses The '01 Raffault Chinon had a wild red berry fruit nose but was very tannic and needs more time. Not bad with the lamb though.

2001 Lebreton Anjou Villages Brissac Domaine des Rochelles Croix de Mission I think this is a Cabernet Sauvignon/Franc blend. I liked this quite a bit. Warm fruits with a pie dough smell, with some honest, rustic, grippy tannins. No oak at all on this one.

2002 Pierre Chermette Beaujolais Juicy and primary, with fairly soft structure. Drink up if you have this.

A fun night, and no corked or prem-oxed wines.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN:Chablis, Muscadet, oysters, and assorted reds

by Clint Hall » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 am

Marc, you nailed the two Muscadets perfectly. Unlike last year's (2005) Pepiere Briords, a great cellar candidate, the 2006 is a friendly relatively little wine just right for drinking now. And the 2005 Pepiere Granite de Clisson, which I tasted at dinner tonight for the first time, needs either a heck of a lot of air or, preferably a heck of a lot of age. Unfortunately beginning tomorrow morning I'll be out of town for five days so unlike you I won't have the pleasure of knowing what it will taste like tomorrow, but I am looking forward to your report. In any event, I'm betting on the Granite and put in an order tonight for a case. The acid seems perfect, and the creamy, leesy mouthfeel puts lots of premier crus Burgs to shame.

And you are right about the Briords and the Granite not being especially good fits for oysters.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Clint,

I missed the opportunity to try the Granite de Clisson the next day, I left the bottle at the host's house. I'll ask him if he tried it.

I am positive on this one for the long term also, it seems like it is built for aging. By the way, did you buy yours locally?

Last night we opened the Jo Landron 2004 Fiefs du Briel Muscadet, and it was very good. My first time trying a wine by Landron and I was impressed. Leesy, lemony and briny, with great concentration and acidity. It seems like there has been several very good recent vintages and more than a few good producers for Muscadet. The Landron went well with fresh Kumamotos.

Hope you are well.
Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Marc D wrote:Last night we opened the Jo Landron 2004 Fiefs du Briel Muscadet, and it was very good. My first time trying a wine by Landron and I was impressed. Leesy, lemony and briny, with great concentration and acidity. It seems like there has been several very good recent vintages and more than a few good producers for Muscadet.

Indeed indeed. Good vintages and good producers.

FWIW, some people in France are quite high on Landron and think he's a rising star. In the past I found his upper level cuvees to be overly marked by oak, and I would much rather have these new upper level bottlings from Luneau Papin. But, many of the Landron wines are good.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Rahsaan,

Where does the Fiefs du Briel fit in the Landron line up? Is it one of the upper cuvees?

We finished the bottle tonight, and with oysters, I did notice some oak notes, maybe towards the finish. Maybe it is the power of suggestion, I'm not certain. Yesterday the same flavors seemed like they came from the lees aging. Finishing the glass with a salad of feta, walnuts, green onion, and spelt, the minerality of the wine really stood out, and I couldn't pick out any oak. The wine has the really good acidity of 2004, and I think I will pick up a few more to see how they age.

Thanks,
Marc
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Marc D wrote:Rahsaan,

Where does the Fiefs du Briel fit in the Landron line up? Is it one of the upper cuvees?

Not sure of the ranking, but I think it is a "step up" in something from the Amphibolite, which is the basic cuvee, but, the one I have enjoyed the most.

The others are all various special cuvees of some sort, and I have liked the Fiefs du Briel, but it's the Haute Tradition that has more oak - if I remember correctly - and was not my thing.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 pm

On return from a trip a few minutes ago I pulled the Granite out of the ridge after a seven-day breather and poured the remaining wine, which I had stored in a 375. It's singing beautifully. This is going to be a heck of an ager. (Marc, I bought it at McCarthy & Schiering on Upper Queen Anne: a Jeff recommendation.)