The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Notes on my 2007 dry Niagara

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: Notes on my 2007 dry Niagara

by Paul B. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 am

I try to make a dry varietal Niagara wine whenever circumstances permit, and fortunately, I managed to locate a vineyard last autumn near Stoney Creek, Ontario (western Niagara Peninsula) where I could do the "U-pick" thing and hand-select the best bunches. The vineyard is pictured below.

Manual de-stemming and selection were followed by a 24-hour pectic enzyme soak, then crush and fermentation with a small portion of reserved skins. Primary completed without problems and soon enough I knew I had a winner on my hands: the flavour and balance of the wine were excellent.

Over the first couple of months in cold storage, though, a haze problem manifested itself - one that isinglass, gravity filtration, sparkolloid and plain old time simply failed to clear. Things were looking pretty dismal for what tasted like a promising wine but looked awful... Finally, I found a packet of chitosan finings - a colloidal shellfish preparation - that had remained from previous years. In desparation, I added the chitosan to the wine and in a few days, I had a brilliantly clear, bright wine.

The must was chaptalized to give a dry-finished wine with just over 12% alc./vol. Rich pale-straw hue with a deep greenish hue in the glass. Swirling brings out gentle, though unmistakable fusel/home-heating-oil/heavy-petrol oily notes coupled with forward acacia flowers, raspy citrus rind (I am convinced that this is Beamsville/western-Niagara-Peninsula terroir speaking - this citrusy aroma is well represented in the area's Sauvignon Blancs and Rieslings) and just the faintest musky-lemon-candy aroma framing it all. Light and crisp on the entry, with much crispness but moderate acidity overall; dry and light. Raspy citrus-rind replays on the mid-palate with some alcoholic warmth and malic tartness toward the finish. Clean finish; plenty of floral acacia/jasmine flavour and just a bit of musk on the finish, which is quite long.

Overall, I am quite happy with this dry Niagara. I feel that it is the equal of my 2003 effort, which was superior to both my original (2001) and 2005 vintages. The plan so far is to have some of my 2007 dry Niagara at NiagaraCOOL '08, so it will be my pleasure to present this wine then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Notes on my 2007 dry Niagara

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:27 am

Looks good Paul. I'm just finally getting around to bottling my first 5 gallons of '06 bubbly - 100% chardonnay. I'll also be doing another 15 gallons of '06 bubbly - blend of Cayuga and Vidal. Then I'll start on the '07s - Steuben first.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:37 am

Thanks Howie. Your Chardonnay sparkler sounds really interesting - can't say I've heard of too many 100% Chard sparklers, but the idea is appealing.

I will post notes similar to these on my '07 dry Concord sometime soon - I just need to get around to it.

All in all, both wines turned out very satisfactory ... and I have come away convinced that Concord does work very well when oaked.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks for the notes Paul, and the wine looks great!
When I first started making wines from kits and concentrates (almost 15 years ago), I remember using a product called KC Fining. The kit contained two packets one was a fining agent the other a clarifier. Basically I believe the packet of clarifier was always chitosan and the packet of fining agent (depending upon on whether it was meant for red or white wine fining) was a fining agent- kieselsol, bentonite, gelatin, silica gel or isinglass. Today I think the packets are just labeled clarifier and fining agent, but the two packets are meant to be used in conjunction with each other.

Salute
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 am

Paul B. wrote:...can't say I've heard of too many 100% Chard sparklers...
Paul, Chardonnay is one of the few grapes allowed in true Champagne, and if it's 100% Chard it is referred to as "Blanc des Blanc". Quite traditional, actually.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Paul B. wrote:...can't say I've heard of too many 100% Chard sparklers...
Paul, Chardonnay is one of the few grapes allowed in true Champagne, and if it's 100% Chard it is referred to as "Blanc des Blanc". Quite traditional, actually.

Thanks Howie. Shows you how rarely I delve into French wine nowadays! I haven't had a beloved Madiran in quite a while now either.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:57 am

NiagaraCool is a comforting thought right now. The wind is howling, it's 7 degrees F and yesterday I shoveled 3 times. A glass of Paul's Niagara and some of Howie's soup and Steuben are thoughts to get through winter by.

I racked for the 2nd time a few weeks ago and things looked good. I used a sur lee/batonage procedure this year, checking each week or so for off odors. None occurred. Everything had cleared reasonably before the 2nd racking except the Diamond which I decided not to rack. It had cleared as expected before the 1st racking but now looked more like fresh juice. Why should it alone respond in this way? Of course, it's in the basement of the tool shed where the temperature isn't much above freezing. I'll bring it down to the house to give the warmth a chance to speed things up. It absolutely must be ready in time for NiagaraCool!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 am

Dan, your Diamond is the gem of the offline - so yes, it must be ready! :mrgreen:

As you know, I think you have a truly masterful hand with that grape. It's one of the wines I truly look forward to trying every year.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Is there a maling list sign up?? :D

The bottle looks very inviting, Paul!!! And your TN sounds delicious... congrats!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:51 pm

James, get with it..it`s mailing!!!! Shaky hand this morning????
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:James, get with it..it`s mailing!!!! Shaky hand this morning????

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Paul,

Have you found that fining and filtering the wines changes the flavors?
I have read from some importers that the fining filtration process can strip flavors from the final wine.
Has this been your experience with the wines you make?

I enjoyed reading about your Niagara, and would love to try it myself sometime.
I have never made wine myself, just some home brewed beer.

Thanks,
Marc
Last edited by Marc D on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:10 pm

James Dietz wrote:Is there a maling list sign up?? :D

Nope - I don't practice cult-like tactics :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I will do my best to bring some to NiagaraCOOL, so if you can make it there, then you can certainly try it for yourself!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Marc D wrote:Have you found that fining and filtering the wines changes the flavors?
I have read from some importers that the fining filtration process can strip flavors from the final wine.
Has this been your experience with the wines you make?

Marc, I was worried about that too. Considering all I went through to try and clear this wine, I was quite sure that it was a goner - and then the chitosan came to the rescue. I was delighted and rushed to bottle the wine as soon as it had turned crystal-clear.

To tell you the truth though, I am very happy that the wine did not suffer any ill effects due to all the attempts to clarify it. A tannic red, perhaps, might have had some stripping occur ... but my Niagara came out just fine despite all the manipulations.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Paul,
Here’s an article from WineMaker Magazine (Oct 2007) written by Jeff Chorniak.

http://winemakermag.com/feature/733.html

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks Victor - I have corresponded with Jeff in the past. It was a most informative and enjoyable read.