The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Help on an upscale wedding gift.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Help on an upscale wedding gift.

by Bob Ross » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:54 pm

One of my lawyer friends needs a wedding gift for an important client who is getting married. He is considering Bordeaux and specifically Mouton for the cachet. This sells on futures at Wine Library, where my friend often shops.

Chateau Mouton Rothschild 2005 $550.

Press Releases
93-95 Points - Robert Parker (Wine Advocate)
This is a presale offer! Full payment is required on all presales. Wine is due in Spring/Summer of 2008.

"A superb Mouton, the 2005 is composed of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, and a dollop of Cabernet Franc. Under the new administrator, Philippe Dalhuin, the strictest selection of any recent vintage was instituted (64% of the production was used), and the 2005's 13.5% natural alcohol is one of the highest ever achieved at this estate. While not as good as the 1986 or 1982, the 2005 is a brilliant wine offering a classic inky/blue/purple color along with notions of creme de cassis, licorice, and sweet oak. Full-bodied, powerful, and exceptionally pure with good underlying acidity as well as a boatload of tannin, it will approach full maturity between 2015-2020, and should keep for 40 years.93-95 Points - Robert Parker

"Lots of currants, berries and minerals and light toasted oak on the nose. Full-bodied and very refined, with lots of silky tannins and a long finish. Elegant and fine. Very pretty. But should be up with the rest of the first-growths. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. -J.S." 92-94 Points - Wine Spectator

Any other suggestions? Thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Help on an upscale wedding gift.

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:08 pm

Well, $550 makes it the cheapest 2005 First in the nation. Hard to offer a "better" solution if (a) he is willing to spend that much, (b) recepient likes Bordeaux, and (c) cachet is the goal. Me, if I was spending that much for a bottle of wine I'd rather go for a proven mature winner ('83 Cheval Blanc, please) or really a couple of proven winners (yes, 2 bottles of '82 Gruaud). Actually from info provided the only question is when is the wedding, and if soon is he content to give a gift of a receipt for a future delivery?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks, Dale. That is helpful. I'll send Richard your response, and see how he feels. Bob
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:04 pm

If its a wedding gift.... I would think its pertinent to know if the wife/significant other of this client also enjoys wine. If this is not the case, then its perhaps not the best of wedding presents.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 pm

i doubt one can buy a single bottle on futures; but.....
i agree that a couple bottles - maybe several different ones - maybe the start of a wine cellar
champagne
burgundy
bordeaux
etc
all drinkable
david creighton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:51 pm

David Creighton wrote:i doubt one can buy a single bottle on futures; but.....

Most retailers require 6 or 12 bottle orders for true futures (a few will do 3), but for 2005s campaign was spring/summer of 2006. Now we're just talking prearrival, and most will take single bottle orders (subject to maybe dollar minimums).
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 pm

I have just bought wine wedding gifts for a friend. Two bottles of Latour, one each from the bride and groom's respective birthdays (so a bottle of 1970 and one of 1975). I also added a Riedel decanter.

I think it came out cheaper than a 2005 First Growth.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've passed them on to my friend, and will report back on what he decides to do. Bob
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Coming late to the discussion but with a $75 or under limit per bottle, I purchased two bottles of a 1999 Chambolle Musigny "Les Fuees" several years ago as a wedding present with the idea that I would suggest to the couple opening one bottle on the honeymoon and one on the fifth anniversary. The wedding was postponed and then canceled so I became the beneficiary of the wines.