The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anybody have the Magic Chef wine cooler?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Anybody have the Magic Chef wine cooler?

by OW Holmes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Our renovation project finally got to the point that the new Magic Chef wine cooler could be installed. Man, is it loud. Like several times louder than the refrigerator. Did I just get a bad one, or are they all like this. I can take it back for an exchange. It is going back, and the only question is whether I try another one of the same, or go with something else.
Mine is the single temperature 45 bottle under counter variety.
-OW
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Anybody have the Magic Chef wine cooler?

by James Dietz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:32 am

I have a 32 unit, stainless steel w/glass door under counter, though it is a free standing unit...don't notice any noise at all......wonder if the under counter model is different than the stand alones????
Last edited by James Dietz on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:59 am

I have a 52-capacity free-standing unit. I'm not sure how the units compare from a technical standpoint, but I haven't had any noise issues. I've been very pleased w/mine. Hope you get it resolved !

CHEERS!

Art
no avatar
User

David P.G.

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

by David P.G. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26 am

I've got a Sanyo free standing unit that I actually has installed under my counter in an empty dishwasher space for a few years and it's quite silent either way.

I think your's might very well have a problem.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 pm

That doesn't sound good, Howie. Maybe I'll take cash when I return the unit to Home Depot.
-OW
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Gail bought me the 45-bottle dual-temp model for Christmas. I've noticed just recently that the compressor has gotten a lot louder. Mine can be used either as a built-in or freestanding, which is how I have it set up now.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:38 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Our renovation project finally got to the point that the new Magic Chef wine cooler could be installed. Man, is it loud. Like several times louder than the refrigerator. Did I just get a bad one, or are they all like this. I can take it back for an exchange. It is going back, and the only question is whether I try another one of the same, or go with something else.
Mine is the single temperature 45 bottle under counter variety.

I read all the negative data on a magic Chef under counter reefer I was thinking about buying for a little cabin I'm building as a studio. Decided against it. Also read the same negatives about the wine coolers. Everybody mentioned noise.

My temporary desk is a door sitting on top of three under counter Kenmore (not sure who makes them for Sears) wine coolers. My computer is much louder than the three of them put together. We're very happy with them.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Edie B

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am

NW Ohio

by Edie B » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm

My husband sells major appliances - including wine coolers (although not the Magic Chef). He says that the noise is a bad thing - that it indicated a vibration in the system and that some of the experts say that's not good for the wine. Again, can't speak for the Magic Chef, but he says in general that many of the newer and more upscale coolers don't use compressors, rather they use some other sort of cooling mechanism (he used fancy terms I don't know)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water! ~ Galileo Gallilei

"Couldn't understand a single word he said but he sure had some mighty fine wine ... and I helped him drink his wine." Three Dog Night
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks, all, for the comments. I took the cooler back and exchanged for an identical unit, but without the noise and vibration. The Home Depot clerk noted the defect as "Raddels and vybreats" on the computer. . The new one, after sitting upright for a day, was plugged in tonight, and but for the drop in temp, I cannot even tell it is running. I will watch it closely for the next couple of months, and if it goes bad, will switch to another unit of the same size, but different manufacturer. Maybe the Kenmore (which I think is made by Whirlpool).
-OW