The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux 2004 blind tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bordeaux 2004 blind tasting

by Saina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 pm

This was a very interesting tasting. I was happy to find that few wines were acid deficient, though Bordeaux rarely is high in acidity. I was also surprised to find that the aromatics were so often dark and very ripe for a year that is generally considered "elegant", and that several "classics" were more "modern/international/anonymous" in style than "classic". Yet I was happy to find that one wine (Margaux) was sublimely beautiful; and sad that it is beyond my financial capabilities to buy one. I was sorry to see that my old favourite Haut-Bailly wasn't very lovable. These were served blind:

• 1990 Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Degorgement Tardif - France, Champagne (2/12/2008)
    Greenish, very young. The nose is very citrussy and takes time for the fruit to open - seems like a Bl de Bl. It is a rather extreme wine at first with extreme intensity and citrussiness and minerals; the elegant fruit shows only with a bit of air. I loved it.
  • 1996 Krug Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (2/12/2008)
    A voluptious, fruitbasket nose, but with some attractive bread and apple scents also. Very intense, pure, high acidity yet concentrated fruit also. A rather full and oaky style of Champagne, but very good in its style.
  • 2004 Château La Fleur-Pétrus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (2/12/2008)
    This was an attractive wine. It started out rather oaky, but calmed down to a red toned, vibrant, more classically styled wine - yet when served blind, I thought it Graves rather than right bank! Fruity, but earthy and bright also. A vibrant and lively wine. Nice!
  • 2004 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (2/12/2008)
    Initially this showed much coco-powder/oak. With air it ended up a rather dark toned, un-Margaux-like, yet with some savoury herbaceousness beneath the dark fruit and oak. Dark, tannic and even a bit brutish. When revealed, I was very surprised as I had enjoyed this much more on a previous taste.
  • 2004 Les Forts de Latour - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/12/2008)
    Dark, spicy, glossy, lifted; sweetly fruity, dark toned, pleasantly tannic but still an "easy" wine and very forward. Somewhat lacking in acidity and refreshing qualities. Not bad, but a rather "new world" style.
  • 2004 Château Le Dome - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion (2/12/2008)
    A freakish wine! Served blind: bacon, animal, some attractive red fruit, but huge toffee and oak. Sweet, full bodied, meaty, smoky - but also lively acidity. It's not bad (if you happen to be more oak tolerant than I am) but I thought this was a LaLa or some other oaky N. Rhone syrah!
  • 2004 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (2/12/2008)
    This was an ethereally beautiful wine. It was a bit flamboyant, spicy and oaky upon opening, but not overly so. This was more in the red fruit spectrum and had a great elegance about it. Perfectly delineated, refreshing, vibrant and with almost a Burgundian elegance and purity, except for the obvious left-bank aromas. Lovely.
  • 2004 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/12/2008)
    I have usually loved this property, but I had one bottle before that I thought too oaky. Now served blind, I thought so too. But this did have some nice earthy and savoury aromatics, too. The palate, however, was vibrant and refreshing and has almost juicy tannins. I don't know what to think of this: I have loved most vintages, yet this leaves me rather cool simply because the oak is more obvious than I remember previous vintages to have been at this infant stage.
  • 2004 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/12/2008)
    Served blind: Oaky, flamboyant, toffeed, SWEET nose - very "new world" in style. It even shows some banana-like aromatics. Soft, low acid/flabby, lacking in liveliness - it's not so over-the-top as to be offensive, but it is in a style that I don't appreciate. I fully understand that many will love this.
  • 2004 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/12/2008)
    A very burly and masculine style, darkly fruity, yet very Pauillac. Delineated palate, but in a masculine way, perfectly proportioned, long and refreshing. Magisterial rather than lovable. I wouldn't mind a bottle or two in my cellar.
  • 2004 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/12/2008)
    This property has a reputation for being a rather modern style. Yet it didn't seem any more so when served blind than most tonight! It was darkly fruity, a bit sweet, rather oaky but still pleasantly lifted - seems more a Pomerol than St. Emilion style to me. Full bodied, sweet fruit, leafy, refreshing acidity - quite nice, but the oak needs to calm down.
  • 2004 Château Trotanoy - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (2/12/2008)
    This wine went through an astonishing transformation during the tasting. It started out as a flamboyant and even slutty, red toned wine; but it calmed down to a dark toned, ripe but classic plummy Pomerol! Ripe, but with lifted acidity, it manages to remain refreshing despite a sweet touch to the dark fruit. The oak isn't obtrusive; the tannins are ripe but young and noticable. I might buy one to cellar.
  • 2004 Château Latour - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/12/2008)
    Coco-powder oak, mustard yet very perfumed and sweet at the same time. A very weird nose. It does have depth and promises complexity, but it is very different from what I remember other young Latours to have been like - I have never had such a sweetness/candiedness before. Soft, smooth, smothered in oak; the acidity only shows up on the finish. I found it quite unbalanced and lacking in delineation.
  • 2004 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/12/2008)
    Coco-powder oak, dark fruit - rather anonymous and modern in this company. Full bodied, low acid, soft almost flabby. Not bad, but I find it hard to get excited.
  • 1993 Disznókó Tokaji Eszencia - Hungary, Hegyalja, Tokaji (2/12/2008)
    Under 5% abv, over 400g/l RS, and c.14g/l acidity! This is brown. Oxidative, apple-like, yet endlessly fascinating. Supremely sweet and intense yet refreshing despite being like olive oil in consistency. Endless aftertaste. I love it!
  • 1993 Pincészet Borház Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos - Hungary, Hegyalja, Tokaji (2/12/2008)
    A very strange, yet strangely compelling scent of peas and chlorine! It certainly divided opinions but I loved the hypothetical mix of botrytised sauvignon blanc and chenin blanc! Sweet, intenense and acidic - freakish but I loved it!
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Bordeaux 2004 blind tasting

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:53 pm

I've heard the '04 Ch. Margaux is great from folks I respect.
I liked the Palmer and Baron better than you did, Lynch Bages less (found it short and unstructured).
Le Dome is a caricature of a wine, blech.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am

Do you think the Baron will settle down and integrate the oak in five years, Otto?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I've heard the '04 Ch. Margaux is great from folks I respect.
I liked the Palmer and Baron better than you did, Lynch Bages less (found it short and unstructured).

I really enjoyed Palmer in my previous taste of it (notes are somewhere up on this board), so I was very surprised at how indifferent I was to it this time. That is a very strange sounding bottle of Lunch-Bags if it was short and unstructured. I have had it once before and I commented then that it had much tannins and a refreshing and long finish.

Brian, possibly. I recently tried and reported here about the '98 and '99 and both have started to show more attractive to my tastes, though they were rather oaky and a bit international when young. I would give it ten years just to be sure, though.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:23 am

Nice notes as usual Otto - thanks for the information.

My most recent tasting of Bordeaux 2004s included the Lynch Bages and my experience was very similar to yours - but Lynch Bages has been a favourite of mine since I bought my first case of the 64 around 40 years ago.

The other 2 were Gruaud Larose [doesn't seem to be much in favour these days] and Pontet Canet [the opposite] but frankly I rated all 3 as being very close in quality if quite different in taste.

If I had to separate them I suppose I would put the Pontet Canet highest in potential terms with the Gruaud Larose [which I think will drink earlier than usual] and Lynch Bages close behind BUT if I wanted a safe bet I would go for the Lynch Bages if only because I have drunk and enjoyed so much of it over the years.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:25 pm

I have found young Latour to have a lot more fruit than it used to. Some older versions I have had the lucky opportunity to taste really needed some more fruit to balance out their tannins, so I'm not concerned that a young Latour had a bunch. When I first had the 2001 I thought it a Pomerol due to its exuberance, but recently it has shut down & gotten properly sullen. I have no doubts for its future, and I suspect the 2004 is the same.

I admit I am always surprised when I don't read the word "exotic" in a Mouton note. It's invariably the first thing that strikes me & makes it reasonably easy to identify blind.
Decisions are made by those who show up