The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When the Ribolla is corked, open a Ribola!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

When the Ribolla is corked, open a Ribola!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Miserable night at Doris Ranch yesterday, another bottle of Movia Ribolla (Fruili) was corked. That`s two in a row and the tuna steaks are ready to go. Bummer indeed but I had a fortunate back up from Cephalonia Greece.

WTN: `06 Robola of Cephalonia, Gentilini Greece.

Black synthetic cork, 13% alc, 100% Ribola, $18 Cdn. Pretty well known wine producing area, well-established winery at higher attitude than normal. Gravel soil should help to produce a distinct wine I`d say.

C. Medium straw, just starting to show some lemony tones.

N. Minerally wet stones, floral, citrus, very aromatic. Comment from across the table was "damp woods after a rain shower". Nice one!

P. Initial entry is bone-dry, good acidity, hint of nuttyness on the finish. This is very tangy and fair lively grip, would go well with shell-fish? Unripe pear dominant with some grapefruit. Medium-bodied and "some hazelnut as it opens". Developed some richness with the tuna and roasted red pepper coulis. Good buy, who needed the Movia?!!
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: When the Ribolla is corked, open a Ribola!!

by Dan Donahue » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:05 am

Ribolla from Greece, who knew? Sounds like a great find, Bob.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:18 am

no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:59 am

So happy to hear you enjoyed Gentilini Robola 06 - I will tell my friend Gabrielle Beamish, an English woman, who has managed (nurtured more-like) the vineyards, makes the wine and manages the place working all hours with very few staff ... she's been there over 10 years now.

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Pretty well known wine producing area, well-established winery at higher attitude than normal.

She will love the description of "higher attitude" ...

The vineyards are run along organic lines, even if they are not certified organic.

Ribolla is the speciality grape of the island of Cephalonia and is a very late ripener. Gabrielle also makes a mean Syrah (with a touch of the local Mavrodaphne blended in), but it's in very short supply.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

tomazk

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am

by tomazk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:42 am

Movia is not from Friuli (Italy), but from Brda (Slovenija). Geographically its the same territory, only different countries.
Greetings from Maribor!
Tomaz Klipsteter
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:44 pm

tomazk wrote:Movia is not from Friuli (Italy), but from Brda (Slovenija). Geographically its the same territory, only different countries.

Yeah, I made a silly mistake. I believe the border runs right through the vineyards. Otto has a lot of interest in this area from past posts?
no avatar
User

tomazk

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 am

by tomazk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:29 am

ah, it's easy to make such mistake, if the wine is called ribolla (not rebula, as it must be), or veliko bianco (correct is veliko belo), pinot nero (modri pinot) etc. many customers think they drink an italian wine.
Greetings from Maribor!
Tomaz Klipsteter
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:40 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
tomazk wrote:Movia is not from Friuli (Italy), but from Brda (Slovenija). Geographically its the same territory, only different countries.

Yeah, I made a silly mistake. I believe the border runs right through the vineyards. Otto has a lot of interest in this area from past posts?

Btw, to make things even more complicated: Ales Kristancic, the owner of Movia, has more vineyard surface on the Italian than on the Slovenian side of Collio Goriziano/Goriska Brda.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam